I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Super Spook
Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:22PM

Ok. Looking for a couple more suggestions. I am looking for a 7' super spook rod to be used in open water. Very long cast is a must and the lightest possible built for all day throwing. Other key words when talking to my customer was that he is usually fishing in a 2' chop and he works his spook with the tip slightly up to keep the rod and line out the waves.

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super Spook
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:38PM

Take a look at the MHX SJ843, it is an awesome top water rod.
I've landed cobia, redfish and some monstor speckled trout with one.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:45PM

Why limit yourself to 7'? I have variations that go up to 9' with my favorite open water rod being 8 1/2 ' Get much longer cast, which is a worthy thing if you are on the flats or in a kayak or innertube or otherwise low to the water.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:31PM

It would be very difficult to get the proper walk the dog action on a Spook with an 8 ½ foot rod, for this application 7 foot does seem to be the sweet spot. In the MHX line I would probably look at the MB843 over the SJ, Spooks and other walking topwater baits like Sammy’s are kind of heavy and the MB has a little more power to handle them.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:56PM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be very difficult to get the proper walk
> the dog action on a Spook with an 8 ½ foot rod,
> for this application 7 foot does seem to be the
> sweet spot. In the MHX line I would probably look
> at the MB843 over the SJ, Spooks and other walking
> topwater baits like Sammy’s are kind of heavy
> and the MB has a little more power to handle them.

7 -7 1/2 is an optimum lenght for these types of rods, IMHO.
Again, I've used that blank and think it performs flawlessly for the fish I chase. It would be nice to know what he's chasing.

Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:00PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mike harris Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would be very difficult to get the proper
> walk
> > the dog action on a Spook with an 8 ½ foot
> rod,
> > for this application 7 foot does seem to be the
> > sweet spot. In the MHX line I would probably
> look
> > at the MB843 over the SJ, Spooks and other
> walking
> > topwater baits like Sammy’s are kind of heavy
> > and the MB has a little more power to handle
> them.
>
>
> 7 -7 1/2 is an optimum lenght for these types of
> rods, IMHO.
> Again, I've used that blank and think it performs
> flawlessly for the fish I chase. It would be nice
> to know what he's chasing.

Large mouth bass mainly on Amistad. Thanks for the suggestions.

Scott

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:14PM

When fishing with an eight to nine foot rod in a kayak, how do you get the fish close enough to grab?

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:20AM

Same as a 7 1/2 only stretch a little further. Or put the rod down and walk your hand down the line for the lip lock in the case of a LMB

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 01:53PM

I just finished a 71/2' Batson RX7 one piece spinning rod w/ micro guides and a split cork handle for snook / redfish / seatrout down here on the west coast of Fla. It was my first micro guide / split grip rod I have made for myself> made 2 for my sons. I was throwing a Skitterwalk the other day to reds and gator trout and I was amazed by two things about this rod. One> it cast farther than any rod I've ever used before! No surprise there right? Two> the split grip felt like a counter weight when I was walking the dog w/ my skitterwwalk which is very simmilar to a spook. It was very easy on my wrist, much nicer to use than my long cork handle rods!! Has anyone else notised this feature on a split grip rod?

Snooker Pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster