I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy question
Posted by: John Sagvold (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:01PM

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a one coat high build type epoxy or using two coats of a lite type epoxy. I am getting ready to epoxy the wraps on my first build and was planning on using one coat of a high build epoxy (recommended by the writer of the book I am using), however, I am seeing that some on this site are using two coats of a "lite" epoxy. On another note, I would like to thank the host of this site and the folks providing information on this site. It has been very helpful in my build. Also, a book by Mr. L. A. Garcia has been most helpful in getting me started. Thank you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy question
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:10PM

I like two lite coats as I feel it gives me better control. If I have a small numb or something I can trim it out after the first and cover it with the second. Builders much better at finishing I am sure have other thoughts I am sure but for me 2 looks at it works better. I put a lite coat on with the main purpose of thread penitration and coverage, allow it to drip, wick it off and rotate. Second coat is to make it look good.
Just my .02

Eric

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:11PM

I have less issues with bubbles in the finish when I go with 2 thin coats of finish. I do not use a "lite" finish, but just 2 thin coats of the finish. I make sure the wraps are completely covered with finish and then take away any access finish after all wraps have been covered.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:38PM

I'm with Eric and Mike, 2 thin coats has many advantages for me.

DR

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:01PM

Ditto for me as well. I sometimes do even more than 2 - whatever it takes to get the job done.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:27PM

Like the other guys, I use two think coats. 1st coast seals and allows me to trim nubs if any exist. 2nd thin coat is for looks.

jeremy

Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 05:29PM

Really, all you need is one coat of high build . Do it right and you will have perfect finish. The fisnish will level out and be fine if ya go about it as per some of the directions on search in this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster