I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Race Is On!
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:48AM

It is now official - I have been very choosy with the wording of this post.

The lead story of all bass fishing related Internet Forums will now give credit to micro guides for winning first place in a major Elite Tour Event in California.

Visit Tackle Tour and read the text very very carefully about Byron Velvic's win at Clear Lake. Elite anglers who fish micro rods also came in in ninth and eighteenth. The Tackle Tour writers are as skillful in marketing as the Elites are at catching fish!

Marketing of the micro rods by production companies is now establishing credibility of the micro rods within the bass fishing community.

If you sell rods get ready - you now have a "proof source" that that anglers who have micro rods in their boat are winners!

Be sure to read all the text - a swim bait won the event.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 11:08AM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Race Is On!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:15PM

Bill

Do you know what blanks they use

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:54PM

Albino carrot sticks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:58PM

Are you serious ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 01:40PM

Link please

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:48PM

I thought about this post longer than the lead thread.

Bill B. - The nicely shaped split rear grip is made of a high quality cork.

Mathew: - Tackle Tour Fourm Admin has deleted posts made by custom builders related to micro rods that link to Rodbuilding.org. Check your email.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:31PM

Forum owners have a responsibility to their advertisers and sponsors. That's why most have you agree not to link to other sites that feature advertising when you register. Tackle Tour would be well within their right to delete such posts and I would do the same thing from this end.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 06:23PM

The question already has been asked. The rods pictured on Tackle tour were black that were in use. Whose black rods were they cause they did not have micro's on them.The only white rod shown was after the tournament so not much of a advertising break through for micro guides.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: March 22, 2010 08:24PM

Rolly;
You may want to go back and take a better look.
In every picture of Byron holding a rod, both with the swim bait during the tournament and afterwards in the second interview. The rod he is holding is white.

Now there is a picture of another man hold up a black rod, but it is not Byron

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 08:48PM

Blew up the third picture of Byron.rod is black and it has a fore grip.Does not look like micros or a Ducket to me.
And you may want to look at the pictures in the gallery's at the Bass masters site of the Clear lake tourny.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:39PM

Rolly,

Check the Day Two On The Water Gallery. In image number 2 Velvick has a white rod, the only image of him with a white rod in the galleries I could find. Must have been during an on the water interview segment. He fished it, therefore it won him the tournament :) Pretty much every other image in ESPN's galleries show him with a dark blank and fore grip.

Joe

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 11:25PM

"The lead story of all bass fishing related Internet Forums will now give credit to micro guides for winning first place in a major Elite Tour Event in California"

Does this mean that the next tournament that is won by someone using different sized guides, that they were responsible for that angler winning?

Date: March 22, 2010 11:32PM

Rolly;
I guess you are looking in a different Place then Bill was mentioning to in the original post.
I apologize for assuming you were replying to the articles Bill was referring to.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:11AM

Kerry , good point!!

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:21AM

I have nothing against micros and have even used a few sets but I would have a hard time crediting them for a tournament win. I think that the same guy fishing the same lure in the same way on a rod that did not have micros would have still won. It is reaching a little to far to suggest that the reason for his win was due to his having micro guides on his rod. Please enlighten me...........how did the micros give him the win?

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 01:19PM

Just promotion here not necessarily a responsibility for a win. Unless of course this angler can say that he cast further or his enhanced line control with Micros contributed to his fish. I guess maybe even lures can have a hard time claiming success since maybe the angler had the right speed for said lure or maybe he didn’t but a starving fish fresh off a bed might have eaten a moving stick just as well.

Personally, I love the promotion of any rod component on a rod from a winning angler. All I ever see are rods, lines, reels, lures etc. being promoted. Many fisherman outside of rod builders rarely think of components when considering rods brands which is frustrating when you spend the majority of your life improving and promoting rod parts. We offer some of the best components ever and I like to think that whether Micros or not, we contribute to angler’s success.

By the way, the Micro guides shown in rod photos are the most advanced Micros yet. They are only from American Tackle and feature our Ring Lock frames and our new Foot Lock feature focused on eliminating ring loss and guide pull-out. (this is my shot at shameless promotion)

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:23PM

Darrin -

Great plug but very well said.

Peter -

The advantages micros offer do have the ability to give an angler a competitive advantage. As do many of the other things custom builders can "do" to rods.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:03PM

I think you are taking away the fisherman/fisherwoman's skill, fast boat to get to that special spot(s) first, choice of lure (not counting stick LOL) and all of the attributes He/She has in reading the waters etc. The guide MAY OR MAY NOT help. In other words you can't give a poor fisherman that magical rod and expect him to win the tournament. I have absolutely nothing against Micros, but to say they were the reason for winning is about the same as when Spiral wraps started to gain pupularity some claimed that all being equal, the spiral wrapped rod allowed a person to cast further. They may cast as far but in my view not further. I like spiral wrapped rods and most of the rods I build are spiral, with with the current rod under construction, where I posted "Jumping Trout" picture, is both a Spiral/Micro 9 1/2' 6-12lb Steelhead rod.

Kerry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:52PM

It is unlikely that Michael Jordan's shoes actually made him the athlete he was nor were they responsible for any of his achievements. But, hundreds of thousands of kids bought those shoes for the simple reason that Jordan wore and endorsed them.

For the sellers, it makes no difference if the micro sized guides had anything to do with the win. The opportunity is there to sell them based on that notion, however, and you can bet somebody is going to take advantage of this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster