I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surface Prep
Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:24PM

What type of preparation should I do before applying finish to my wraps?

Last time, I wiped with denatured alcohol. It seemed as though the finish didn't want to adhere to the surface of the blank, or the thread. Someone mentioned I shouldn't wipe down with alcohol and cause contamination. What should I use, if anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surface Prep
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:31PM

Mark,
Some folks wiill disagree, but I use the blue masking tape - light tack - to remove any dust or other things that might happen to have gotten on the wraps.

Before every wrapping the rod, I do use a good wipe down with denatured alcohol. I have never had any side effects from wiping the blanks with this before ever starting the guide wrapping.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:49PM

One good thing i learned years ago is too keep a spray bottle with a mixture of 1 tablespoon dish soap, 1 Tablespoon alcohol, and fill with H2O. This is not ment to wipe the wrap but used to clean the blank. I use it also to clean the whole rod before sending off to a customer. I have found the best cleaner for a wrap is too not get it dirty in the first place. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear. A dust free (I use a reverse fan dust collector) and a clean working inviornment is the best cleaning method. I try to always remember to wash my hands before a wrap. I store my thread in a dust free container. Clean my renzetti often. Sanding and turning done in seperate room. I also keep a can of air on hand and will blow off a wrap before finishing.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:04PM

Mark

I also follow Billy's methods for the most part. I wipe down the rod blank before wrapping any guides or butt wrap. Sometimes just with a dry soft cloth and sometimes with a wet cloth with a little mild soap on it. I wash my hands often while wrapping and handling thread. I use a doubled over piece of blue painters tape to "dab off" any dust or fuzzies on the wraps before cp-ing or applying finish to the wraps. I have never put any alcohol or other cleaners or solvents on the bare thread wraps. My thread spools are stored in closed plastic boxes. If I need to walk away from the wraps for any length of time (days) before I get cp or finish on them I wrap a small piece of tin foil around the wraps. I vac my lathe area before i start wrapping every rod. I also keep a can of compressed air handy. I think that these little "habits" help me to produce a better end result with my finishing.

Rog

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:15PM

Start with a clean rod blank and then keep it clean during the wrapping process. If you feel the need to clean your wraps of dust, just hit them with a soft brush, similar to what you use for applying finish.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:20PM

How about the water break finish. Would that be a good idea before you do the butt wrap or guides and other components?
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 08:29AM

Do you mean water break free preparation for the blank surface? ALWAYS do it for component installation. But not for guide wrapping. You want to be able to remove the guide for repair at some point and if you do the WBF thing you almost cannot get the guide off. I know......I tried it!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:34AM

A water break free surface isn't necessary for butt or guide wraps.

Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.qtrailer.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 11:16AM

Ok, so I give........what is the Water Break Free preparation I should ALWAYS be doing for component installation? I'm a beginner & had never heard of this........

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 11:36AM

There is an excellent article in the library above. Water Break Free basically comes down to scuffing the blank, and any components that may have a smooth shiny surface, with a scotchbrite pad.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:28PM

The W B F surface prep is mostly used to prep the blank where grips and reelseats will be installed.

Rog

Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 08:03PM

Got it! Did the reading & understand. Thanks Guys!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster