I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bill Colby CCS Database
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:27PM

Just a bit ago, Bill Colby emailed me a file containing his entire Common Cents database. It contains over 900 entries. He has given me permission to publish it in RodMaker Magazine. The only problem is that it is so extensive that it would easily fill an entire issue and then some.

I'm going to kick it around. I know the set up he uses and trust his accuracy. My thinking is that maybe I'll devote 1 or 2 pages per issue starting this summer and carry through until all of it has been published. Even taking out the finished rods, he's got about 600 rod blanks listed. I'm guessing I could fit in between 50 to 75 per issue. We'll see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Colby CCS Database
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:36PM

Excellent! Even a page per issue would be helpful. North Fork is adding the data for their blanks as they produce them so that alone would provide a good many models to include. I would like to see Batson get on board. Hopefully Bills database already has a bunch of the Batson stuff included.

Date: March 21, 2010 03:45PM

There is some. I haven't had time to really go through it all and won't for a few weeks. Obviously, some companies would have a lot more representation than others depending on what has come and gone through Bill's hands over the past few years. Again, I'll need to sift through it and decide how to handle it.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:50PM

I will gladly take an emailed file........LOL. ; )

Date: March 21, 2010 04:00PM

Oh, forgot to ask..........does he have the CCF frequency numbers listed? I am quickly learning how valuable THAT information really is.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 04:09PM

How about a CD inserted into the Magazine mailing?

Just a thought - I've seen it done before.

Cheers and thanks for your dedicated work on our behalf.

Walt

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 04:15PM

Wonder how much it would cost for a temp agency data entry clerk to enter the data onto the CCS data page? Nominal access fee to offset this cost? Just a thought.

Lane

Date: March 21, 2010 05:10PM

Peter,

I have to sit down and really go through it before I can tell you much more about it. The quick glance I gave it showed CCF figures for some, but not all the entries. I couldn't tell you what percentage off the top of my head.

Walt,

That's a great idea but I doubt I can afford it. The magazine does not operate at a profit and the subscription fees just barely cover my physical cost of printing and mailing the magazine. There's not a lot left over. What there is goes into the RodMaker Reception at the Expo each year. That pretty much brings everything back to flat even.

Lane,

Bill specifically asked me not to allow it into any online database. I'm sure that once published, however, some of it will surely make it in there.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 06:14PM

It would be a real shame for someone to take advantage of Bill Colby's generosity and post his info.
on an on-line database without his expressed written consent.

I'd love to have such info for my Library website but I'd be just as happy to see it published in RodMaker or see it
as another Special Issue CD.

THANKS BILL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 21, 2010 10:03PM

I guess considering how many more rod builders the magazine reaches compared to the internet forums it makes more sense to put it in the magazine anyway. At some point it will trickle down to the internet forums. After all thats pretty much what has happened to all the other articles in the mag. The info trickles down from the mag, not up to it.

If you will accept entries from others I will try to gather the ones I have and send them in.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:21AM

Hi Tom

I like Raymond's idea of a Special Issue CD, you could charge a little more than it costs to produce and save the rest to start a "Special Projects" acount for when you need start-up capital on a new project.
Just my .02c

Thanks Tom, Bill & Everyone on this site who help me learn something new Every day!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:44PM

A special issue CD seems to make the most sense. If people have to pay for something they are less inclined to give it away to others. I think it is vital to understand why Mr. Colby has an objection to it being on an online database. Understanding his reasons will allow us to come up with the best solution.

A lot is possible with software. For example a download code could be issued once someone submits data on a new blank. You contribute and then you can make use of the data. It would be a shame to see such a body of work not passed on IMHO.

I'm just a hobby builder only making rods for myself. I will never buy enough blanks to make a meaningfull contribution. The ironic thing is this likely means that CCS info would help me more than the prolific builder who sees hundreds of blanks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 22, 2010 01:27PM

I think Bill pointed that out earlier in a post yesterday on a related subject.

Plus, the internet does not reach even 5% of the builders that the magazine does. In the long run it makes more sense to publish it in the magazine. It will trickle down from there.

I still have to sit down and sort through it so nothing is definite yet, although I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do with it all.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:43PM

Sounds like Bill is being pretty generous....Like CCS or not that many measurements is a significant investment in time and money.....I would think most serious builders would pay decent $$ for a database like that...

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.4.---)
Date: March 22, 2010 04:21PM

It is very nice to have these data in the MRS Database. I was off track for two-three weeks on other projects but if there are a large number of serious builder that would be interested in these data and the MRS system, why dont we link it up and make it RodMaker very own share utility and database ? What do you say Mr. Bill Colby? Mr. Tom Kirkman? off course if money is the issue, can we set up a donation account if someone like it they can send RodMaker some $$ ?

Posted by: Ben Lee (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:16PM

I could imports from various Database such as MS SQL Server 2000-Current, MySQL or Oralcle Databases. Or if it's in plain files formats such as XML, Excel, Word, Access or DBF no problems.

Thanks in Advance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster