I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation for 8ft smallmouth rod
Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 02:54PM

A friend asked me to build him an 8ft spinning rod for smallmouth fishing in the winter. The rod will be used to drag a 1/2oz carolina rig with a live minnow. The three blanks that I am looking at are the MB941-MHX , Lamiglas International ISS102-2M and Lamiglas International ISS102-2MH. Which of these three blanks would you prefer for this application? I realize that these three blanks are not exactly 8ft long, however, that will not be a problem. Also, I should mention that I am trying to build this rod for under $100 which is one reason I picked these three blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation for 8ft smallmouth rod
Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 03:12PM

I'll op for the MHX, I'm starting to build more of those blanks for my personal use.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:25PM

The man who runs this board i believe holds a lake or state record for smallmouth. You should ask him his opinion

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:04PM

For live baiting with up to a half ounce weight one of the heavier power 8 foot graphite crankbait blanks, or the popping blanks they were derived from should work well. They should be limber enough to prevent throwing the bait off but still have plenty of power in reserve.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 12:25PM

Check out some of the Castaway blanks at Swampland. They are priced in your range, and are light with plenty of power to handle the 1/2 oz. weights. I recently finished up a build on an 8' crankbait rod that weighs just under 3oz and would handle a "Lindy Rig" here in Minnesota, aka Carolina rig just fine. I'm sure Lance would be more than happy to help you get set up.

Date: March 22, 2010 10:46PM

I looked at the Castaway 964 and 965 blanks and I think either one would work, however the 965 appears to be out of stock. Swampland also lists two Batson blanks (CB80H-M and CB80MH-M) that look suitable as well. Trinity, which Castaway crankbait blank did you use? I am planning to build a crankbait rod later this year on a Castaway 964 or 904. The 904 looks like it would be identical to the factory Castaway Launcher, which in my opinion is one of the best factory crankbait rods. The Launcher weighs less than the All-Star that I currently have and casts about 5-10 yards farther.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 23, 2010 02:52PM

I built the 965 if I remember correctly. I wanted a little more power to rip baits through the cabbage weeds and coontail that I fish around regularly. Spiral wrapped with micro alconites, spilt grip consisting of about 8 rings of cork total, and a split seat. I can't wait for the ice to melt!!!

Date: April 30, 2010 07:25PM

I finished building and delivering the rod last week. I decided to use the Batson RX7 CB80H-M and I was impressed with the blank. I used Fuji alconite guides (30-16-10-6-6-6-6-6-6) wrapped with Gudebrod garnet thread with metallic silver inlays. I used a size 20 reel seat , 12" cork rear grip and an epoxy ramp in place of the foregrip. I had originally intended to wrap the ramp with the same thread as the guides and add two sets of inlays with the silver thread. However, I forgot to wrap the ramp while the epoxy was slightly tacky and the thread refused to climb to the top of the ramp with out sliding loose (I tried sanding and I still had problems). I eventually decided to paint the ramp with some fingernail polish that matched the thread and apply finish. The completed rod looked and cast great and my friend was very happy with it. This was my third rod and was the first time I used the NGC method and used an epoxy ramp on a spinning reel seat (I have built a few small ramps on casting reel seats and split grips). I really liked this blank and I plan to build a crankbait rod on the RX7 CB80MH-M later this summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster