I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparable to Fuji Alconite
Posted by: Will Graham (208.93.35.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 01:06PM

I am interested in trying some other brands of guides such as American Tackle or Batson. What would be guides comparable to the Fuji Alconite in those brands?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparable to Fuji Alconite
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: March 21, 2010 04:01PM

I think the ones that advertise "Hialoy" are using the same material as the Alconite rings are made from. Might be better to ask directly though.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 08:32PM

Check with the manufactures i am sure they will give you there answer even tho it may be a little Biases

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:04PM

A similar question would be ... "What chocolate tastes like Ghirardelli?"

IMO, Fuji Alconite guides are a REALLY solid value and a great product. IF you are looking for something different with a good track record - try the Alps lineup that Batson carries. If Fuji stopped making guides, they would be my primary offering.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 09:58PM

American Tackle Nanolite's have a ceramic that is supposedly "harder" than Fuji's Alconite material, plus they are available in micros if that's what you're after. They are also available with titanium frames in the larger sizes for a fairly reasonable price.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:13PM

I take ease of guide prep into consideration. Fuji = less work IMHO. Wish they had more colors!

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 12:09PM

Hi Will,

Alconite is a fine insert indeed and so are many other high-grade aluminum oxides that all seem to be in the similar price range. Typically all are very smooth and will serve their purpose without negative effects. For new Ring Lock guides, we did extensive research to come out with something better the Alconite and after visiting with ceramic ring factories we realized that there were other options that equal or surpass an Alconite style ring. We chose to offer Duralite and Nanolite. Nanolite is our primary ring since it rivals and surpasses Silicon Carbide in that it’s able to be polished extremely smooth, close in hardness, more economical, and is more durable allowing a reduction in material mass without sacrificing strength. Plus our Nanolite gives us the opportunity to boast a “step-up” from popular aluminum oxides and compete with Sic in extreme value and strength. Combined with our Ring Lock frames, we feel that our guides can compete on any level.

I hope you give our products consideration if you try something new.

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 12:10PM

The rings are thicker in the Batson and Alps guides than the Alconites. I don't know about Amtak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster