I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drum Dryer
Posted by: Chuck Payne (152.11.88.---)
Date: March 20, 2010 03:03PM

I am wanting to build a new drying box. I am thinking of building the drum style dryer, but am not set yet. I build a lot of LONG surf rods and really need the ability to dry multiple rods, and pieces of rods. The drum dryer seems idea as I dont have a ton of room tobuild my box. First my question would be where to get a motor, or motors for either style dryer weather it be drum or other, any help would be appreciated, I have seen the pics here and am wanting to get started asap.
Thanks
Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drum Dryer
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:02PM

go to home depot and get a rotisserie motor for a grill. even better if you can find one at a garage sale

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.191.---)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:22PM

I have one for you Chuck, Ill bring it to the gathering.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 07:24PM

Chuck,
Do a search of the forum equipment section and you will find several pictures.

I have built several driers that have all worked well for drying long surf rods. . I use low voltage DC gear motors to drive the driers. Find a 5-10 rpm low voltage DC gear motor and then pick up the appropriate plug in wall transformer to supply the correct DC voltage to the motor.

Drop me an e-mail if you would like more detail.

Take care
Roger

hflier@comcast.net

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2010 11:27AM

Chuck,
As you continue your drum dryer endeavor, I will pass along a couple of tips that I received from a fellow who had built some drum dryers in the past.

1. Rather than using a round pipe or tube for the center shaft - use a square tube. By using a square tube you have less flex for the same size as with a round tube. Then, with a round tube - on which you thread disks having a square hole in them, the disks can not slip and or twist on the tube.

2. A common problem with drum dryers is to figure a method to nicely connect the center pipe to the motor. The method used by the fellow with whom I was working used a drill chuck to attach the square tube to the motor.
I use 1 inch square aluminum 1/16th inch thick tubing for the center shaft. As a result, a piece of 7/8th aluminum shafting is nearly a perfect fit on the inside of the tube. I drilled and tapped a 1/2 X20 hole in the end of the 7/8th inch shaft. On the end of the 1/2 inch shaft, I simply screwed on a drill chuck with the appropriate thread size. You can get either 3/8th or 1/2 inch chucks with a 1/2X20 internal threads. Since the motor size is generally less than 3/8th of an inch, the 3/8th inch chuck will work just fine.
Then, after installing the 7/8th inch shaft into the 1 inch square tube, I simply cross drilled the tube and shaft and held the shaft into the end of the tube with a 1/4 inch bolt. This makes it easy to remove the chuck if you want to use a different aluminum tube for the dryer. Then, on the opposite end of the tube, I simply installed another 7/8th inch shaft and supported that end of the assembly with a 7/8th inch bearing.

3. When it comes time to put the dryer together, install the plain shaft into its bearing, and then lift the chuck end of the center tube so that the chuck lines up with the motor, and tighten the chuck onto the motor shaft.

Then, if it comes time to disassemble the dryer, replace the motor or change the length of the center shaft, you simply loosen the drill chuck, remove the center shaft from the motor and do what is needed on the dryer.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 09:19AM

Thanks for the help guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster