I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first fly rod - 3wt
Posted by: Andy Dochterman (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 05:24PM

I am starting my first fly rod...it is a 8ft 3wt...and need some advice. Need some opinions on snake vs single foot guides. Also, any opinions on the recoil guides for fly rods is GREATLY appreciated.

Take'er Eazy
Andy Doc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first fly rod - 3wt
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 05:50PM

By now I must sound like a broken record, but I only use REC Recoil s/f heavy wire guides on my fly rods. Never discolor/corrode in saltwater (you are not worried about that with your #3 - but it is a decided benefit anyway). The single s/f wrap & finish saves weight over the d/f snake wrap & finish saves weight.
BTW - I have weighed the s/f heavy wire Recoils vs d/f snake heavy wire Recoils and the s/f are lighter by a very small margin. But will amount to about 1/2 gram on the 8' blank.
Some say that the recoils "sing" when fly line is run through them - sometimes true - but only when the line is dry or dirty.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:23PM

Ditto on what Herb said about the REC's.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.119.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:29PM

Good advice from Herb.
I utilize Recoil titanium guides as the top three guides on all my builds.
For 6 weight and under I use the single foot guides and 7 weight and up use the double foot guides. I just prefer the double foot guides if the tippet strength goes over 5#. I reserve the heavy wire Recoil guides for saltwater and builds over 10 weight.
Certain softer fly lines are apt to sing. The harder coated lines are a lot less prone.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:30PM

I just rebuilt a 3 weight, bamboo rod. I have always used SF guides in the past (on bamboo and graphite rods), but on this rod I used H&H snakes, because I wanted a traditional look. I like the way the snakes look, and the only addtional weight is going to be from the extra wrap. How much that affects performance on this rod, I don't know. It's a small stream rod that will rarely be used beyond 25 or 30 feet, and at those distances it casts just fine. If I were building a graphite 3, I would probably opt for SF guides, just to get max performance from the graphite blank (snakes have the extra weight of an additional wrap and they allow the line to rub the blank). My current favorite SF's are the Pac Bay Minima F guides. Size 4 Minimas have an opening equivalent to most size 6 ceramics. I have never used the Recoils, but some folks on this board claim that the guides "sing", as Herb mentioned. Another thing I've heard is that Recoils will groove sooner than other guides.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jon Christensen (---.29.188.206.static.utahbroadband.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:13PM

Herb -- why do you go for the heavy single foots vs the lite singles?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:45PM

Any rod fly under a 4 wt I always put single foot wire. I am building my self a 3 wt on a 6'6 2 wt blank with the added 12" of a handle for it to be a fly/spin.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:44PM

The Pacific Bay Minima guides offer the best of all worlds. Outstanding fly rod guides.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:02PM

Jon,
Sorry, I should have been more specifis. I only build fly rods suitable for saltwater and heavy freshwater - 7wt -11wt - and the light wt would not be appropriate. Perhaps on a 3wt rod the light wt guides would be appropriate.
Herb

Posted by: Jon Christensen (---.29.188.206.static.utahbroadband.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:36AM

No problem, Herb.

As far as Recoils go, I have used the light-wire single foots on 3wts and below, light-wire double foot guides on 3wt and 4wts, and heavy double foots for 5wts. Even the heavy Recoils are pretty light themselves. I've got a 9'6" 4wt coming up in a few months that I'm looking at using heavy single foot Recoils on, maybe ... I have yet to try them myself.

From my experience, for an 8' 3wt rod with single foot guides, I'd go with light wire Recoils. If I wanted to go for double foots, it'd be a toss up for me between Recoils and Snakebrand. I'd recommend going with the single foot guides unless you really don't like how they look. I'll have to check out the Pac Bay Minima guides as I've seen Tom recommend them several times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster