I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help identifying rod tube cap.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 12:31PM

I've lost the brass colored cap that goes with my rod tube. All I can calculate is the minor diameter of the threads which is roughly 1.630" - can someone tell me what the OD would be? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help identifying rod tube cap.
Posted by: Jim Fielding (69.196.211.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:18PM

On a standard unified thread, a 1.630 minor correlates with a 1 11/16" thread. Unable to help much more than that without more info or seeing the actual thread.

Re: Need help identifying rod tube cap.
Posted by: David Cockerham (---.wilkes.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 09:56AM

Tim,

Here is a formula you can use to find the OD threads for you rod tube cap. You will need a thread pitch gauge. You can pick one up at good hardware store. I would suggest to pickup one each for inch and metric threads.

Here is what you need to measure first. With your thread gauges find the thread pitch. Lets say it is 20TPI. You now need to divide 1” by the pitch. 1/20=0.05
Now the constant used for standard “V” thread depth is 0.866. So 0.866 X Pitch = Depth.
Ex. - 0.866 X 0.05 = 0.0437 Thread depth. All you have to do to find the thread OD is multiply the thread depth by two and add the ID of your tube threads 1.630. Ex - 2 X 0.0437=0.0874 + 1.630=1.7174 Thread OD.

Note Metric threads are easier. The pitch is all ready in a useable form. You don’t have to convert fractions. Ex. – 1.5mm pitch equals 1.5mm distance from thread to thread.

Better yet I would find a local machine shop and ask them for help. Most the ones I know will take time to help you with charging you.
You may also call REC. They sell tubes. I haven’t tried but they may sell you just the cap for your tube.

David Cockerham

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster