I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cabelas fly blanks
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:07AM

Just curious if anyone has any opinions of two specific fly blanks made by cabelas. The first Is the PT+ blanks, and secondly The inexpensive Traditional II fast action blanks. The Traditional has such a nice finish and was wondering just how fast people thought they were. Both very good looking blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cabelas fly blanks
Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:16AM

I prefer to support this board's sponsors and I understand why they're not-they sell tons of stuff other than rod building supplies. That being said, I have built several rods with their blanks and they are really nice and a good value. I still think that one of our sponsors would have the same blank at the same price.

Posted by: alton lacey (---.static.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:56AM

I have built rods on Cabela's blanks and think they are a good value. However, I agree that some of the sponsors blanks are just as good or better. For example, I have used Pacific Bay blanks with very good success.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 01:53PM

Understood. I have built so far almost all of my rods on sponsors blanks as well, some real nice ones to boot. I can't help but try to do as many comparisons so that I can truley find out which blanks better or worse at as many price levels as I can . Thats the way I work. Try to gain as much knowledge as I can about as many different blanks as possible. Thats all.
That said I don't think it is a bad thing to compare sponsor and non sponsor products. If comparisons and honest opinion are limited to only sponsors, I believe it does a disservice to this forum and its sponsors, and becomes nothing more than an advert for the sponsors of this forum (wich I also understand). Hope I'm not offending any sponsors by saying that, and I would bet that the sponsors would welcome some honest comparisons.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.209.119.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:22PM

I've built a few rods on Cabela's blanks and as a whole have been quite happy with the results.
Most of the builds were on blanks that they have discontinued and am now using the new blanks.
The 8' 5 weight traditional 2 is an excellent casting 8 weight blank but failed terribly as a 5 weight.
The IM7 blanks are good moderate priced blanks that cast true to weight. I've cast the PT rods and have a blank here but have yet to build it. The PT rod did cast quite well.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 06:38PM

I have a 14 year old PT+ 9' 2pc. 4wt that casts and fishes great. Before I started building rods, this was my fly rod of choice. It handles the wind without a problem, and I've used it to catch some pretty big trout (20+inches). I have never checked the AA or ERN, but I would say that it is a fast rod, with a lot of reserve power.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 01:27PM

The newer dark green color PT+ blanks are very nice. So are the bright green Tradition II blanks. The PT+ is made in the U.S. if it matters to you. I've built several of both and I prefer the PT+ over the Tradition II because it's right on when I do CCS tests of the blanks. The Tradition II is faster and tends to be at least a line weight above what Cabela's lists (again according to CCS tets). The PT+ blanks are not as fast, but they are really nice medium- fast to almost fast blanks, and much lighter than the Tradition II blanks. As stated by others, you can't go wrong with any of the vendors listed here, but I hope I've helped answer your question. Let me know what blank you're looking at and I'll see if I have the CCS data for one I've built.

John Gertz
White Bear Lake , MN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster