I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Digital Camera
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:06AM

Hello Everyone

I need to get an inexpensive digital camera and have no idea what to get and could use a lot of help.
I did a search and found some good coments for taking pictures in general but what I am looking for is some specific recommendations for camera models.
I will be using it to take shots of all sorts of stuff and not just rod builds, having said that I need something that is not too complicated.
Don't forget "inexpensive"(no more than $150.00).

Thanks alot for the help!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digital Camera
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:42AM

You can search for "best discount camera reviews" and go from there - here is a link to cnet. I just did the same type of search for handycams (including in-store visits) and found a model that I liked for $500. But my online search revealed the prior model was actually a better option since it had a 4mp instead of the newer 3 mp camera option. After another search, I found it on Amazon.com for $326 - no tax, free shipping, and I signed up for their in house card and got 0% interst for 6 months - duh.

[reviews.cnet.com]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 07:46AM

I use a Nikon Coolpix, it was like $125 or something like that. Works fine for all my pics. Buy the smallest memory card and keep it clean, 2G size holds like a gazillion pics and was $12. Make sure you buy one that comes with a USB to connect the camera to your computer, as well as rechargeable size A batteries. The one that comes with a special bettery stinks because if you lose the charger you can't use your camera until you buy a new one. I learned this the hard way.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:00AM

I'll second the Coolpix; inexpensive, compact, lightweight, just a few of the most needed functions and they're easy to figre out. I keep one in my tackle bag to get pics of the lunkers I catch. I've got quite a collection of other anglers :) For convenience I picked up one of those thumbnail drives that accepts the memory cards from the camera and I've got a few of the cards so I can easily swap them out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:34AM

Robert,
Stop over to your favorite Wall Mart or other store with a good camera selection and talk to one of the folks that work in the Camera department.
Cameras like Fuji, Sony, Nikon are all available and can be purchased for reasonable cost.
One thing that is important in your camera selection is to try to decide what you want to photograph , and if the camera is capable of doing what you want.

Do you want to do closeups - if so - can the camera stay in focus with the magnification that you want for that shot?
Do you want to take distance shots and do you have the necessary telephoto capability.
Many of todays new inexpensive cameras have large pixel counts to allow you to have excellent pictures with adequate digital storage.
One thing to consider is the cost of the memory sticks that will be used in the particular camera that you select. If you select a camera that takes the most popular memory sticks, you will pay less for memory storage devices than if you buy a different brand.

So, go to the store of your choice - armed with these as well as other questions of your own and get the answers and make the purchase of your choice.

Since this is a rod building site, you might have a consideration for using the camera on the water. If so, you might want to have the insurance that the camera is 100% waterproof.
There are some cameras out there that are 100% waterproof , but it will severely limit your selection if this is a necessary requirement.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:42AM

Everyone has a preferred brand. Lower-end models ($250 or less) that rate well are often Panasonic, Canon, and Sony.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get a camera with automatic controls, a robust optical (not digital) zoom of at least 5X, macro capability for closeuup shots of rods, components, etc, and small size for portability.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 08:46AM

I have 2 camera's a very expensive all the bells and whistles Canon. And I also have a $99 (Walmart) Nikon Coolpix camera. All my pictures I take of my fishing rods I use the Nikon. Easy to use put it on macro for close ups, the little flower symbol, point and shoot.

Any of the $100-150 Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Fuji Camera's should work fairly well. Just depends on the options. Like said above make sure it use AA batteries, comes with a USB or your computer has a card reader. 5 to 6 mega pixels is sufficient as any thing more is too large of file to put on many websites. If you get a camera with more capabilities adjustments can be made though.

Mike

Date: March 19, 2010 09:13AM

Hello Everyone

I've done some looking around and so-far I like the Kodak Z915, has anyone used one of these yet (it's new)?
It seems to have everything I need, but Mike Winkler said anything over 5-6 mega pixels may be too large and the Z915 is 10mp,
would it still work to put pics on this sites photo section?

Thanks and good day to all!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:22AM

You can still use the camera regardless of the Megapixels. the Megapixels is going to dictate the quality of your photo. The more megapixels, the more memory it uses on your memory card and uploading to websites. You can make adjustments on the camera to decrease the quality of the picture or you can photo shop it.

If you like it get it...

Mike

Date: March 19, 2010 09:48AM

Hello Everyone

Thanks for the clarification and help Mike!!
I'm not realy done looking yet but the Z915 is on top of the list right now and thanks again any and all help is very much appreciated.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:52AM

Robert,
As Mike suggested, normally the ability of the camera to capture more mega pixels allows you to have a much more detailed picture.
But, cameras have settings to allow you to dial down the sensitivity of the camera if you like. i.e. rather than shooting a 10 mp picture you can dial it back to one of only 1 or 1/2 mp if you like. The picture will get much more grainy and less detailed but it will normally allow you to do it.

I think that most folks simply snap the pictures at the cameras best settings. Memory storage is very inexpensive these days, so Why not. Then, if you have lots of pictures that you want to send over the Internet for viewing, etc. you can use any of the good photo programs that are commonly available to edit, crop and or save in a jpeg format that is compressed and uses much less storage. Yes, you will lose detail, but you will be able to send pictures of "typical" web quality easily via e-mail etc.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:58AM

I have Nikons, Kodak, Pentax, Olympus and Canon cameras (we use them in our business). The problem I have with the less expensive Nikon Coolpix cameras is their problem with low light conditions. Otherwise they are good. If I were buying a camera relative to fishing, I would go with a waterproof. Both Pentax and Olympus have been in the waterproof point and shoot market for a while and have good product. They may be a little over your price range though. The best point and shoot in the under $150 market right now (IMHO) is the Canon A1100is. It is a great little camera, but the best thing I like about it is it still has an optical view finder in addition to the digital.

As far as megapixels and resolution, I shoot at maximum resolution and then reduce the file size afterward. I usually use Picassa to edit pictures. It is free and easy to use. You can reduce file size in the camera, but you never know when you will shoot a great picture. If it starts out as lower resolution, you can't fix it later. If you start out with high resolution, you can always reduce it afterward.

Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 10:58AM

I like my kodak with the easyshare cradle.The software stores pictures in albums and does everything at the push of a button including down sizing for e-mail in its own e-mail center. The base is also the battery charger and a battery lasts me more than two years.

Date: March 19, 2010 02:42PM

Hi
Thanks Everyone for the help, I'm heading out and I think I'm going with the Kodak Z915, but when I get to the store I might change my mind (ya never know) once I get my hands on it and see some of the others up-close.

Thanks again for the benefit of your expertise.
Have a good weekend, and fish hard!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 05:38PM

Not to hijack but.....I have a Nikon Cool Pix as well but during an update I lost the software on my PC and can't find the CD to re-install it! If anyone has the CD, I'd be glad to pay you for a copy to fit my camera, I'd even send you a blank CD and postage......my camera is a Nikon Cool Pix 3100.

DR

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 05:45PM

I am hesitant to write, but I fear we are falling into the same trap as we did when computers first became common and we saw massive increases in CPU speed. The CPU speed was hyped to convince us to buy new computers to get increased speed. Of course our new computer did not run perceptively faster. The CPU speed was not the rate determining step in how fats a computer works.

The same is true of megapixels. The more important criteria is the size of the sensor area. The larger the sensor area the higher the resolution. Point and shoot digital cameras all have about the size of sensor area. This area also limits the speed of the lens (aperture opening). Both of these factors are more important than numbers of megapixels. Roger is correct that you need to determine the uses for this camera. If you want to post images on this web site, then any digital camera with more than two megapixels will give adequate resolution. If you take a picture with a 10 megapixel point and shoot camera and take the same picture with a digital SLR with 10 megapixels, you will see a difference in the optical quality. If you want to take pictures in low light, of eagles nesting a Briistlecone Pine at the top of a mountain in Colorado or California, or a close up at 1 cm focal length, then you need a camera with a larger sensor area and multiple lens capability. Talk to someone who is knowledgeable in a camera store rather than a salesperson at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:12PM

Be sure to get image stabilization(each manufacturer has a different name for it) and a 4 power zoom. Sony as well as others offer these options in your price range. Anything above 7 megapixels will give you quality prints up to 8"x10 prints
Ed

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2010 04:12AM

I've had a number of Kodak Easy Share Z series cameras, all have been great, go with any of the IS models for Image stabilization, which allows for clearer high zoom level shots. My current camera is a Z1015, which is my favorite. Images are crisp and clear. Keep in mind that a 10mp picture is huge when printed or displayed in full quality, anything over say 6mp is fine for general online work. If your after really spectacular or huge printed images, go with the higher MP cameras. I also own a Z1485 which I use when on vacation and on the boat, it's small enough to be very portable but I doubt it's got much as far as water resistance. I've never had any issues with any standard camera as far as water or getting them wet, but I also don't let my camera get wet. Battery life and cost is also a big concern, I also prefer a camera that can use AA rechargeable batteries since I can carry many spares for little expense.

Date: March 22, 2010 06:23AM

Hello Everyone

Thanks a lot guys I went with the Kodak Z915, it's a little big but will do anything I want to do with it now and probably in the future.
It's got the macro, sport, panorama, scn, pasm, and video and much more.

Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster