I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

orange thread question - help
Posted by: Chris Starling (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 08:01PM

I wrapped the guides on a crankbait rod last night using Fishhawk regular nylon orange. I've used other Fishhawk thread colors with excellent results, but first time using orange. I did a test wrap on a scrap blank with 2 coats of CP and achieved the look I wanted, so I did the same on the crankbait rod. Wraps looked good dry and I thought I had them packed good enough (and lightly burnished), so on goes first coat of CP - dried 1 hr per mfg instructions - applied second coat CP and let dry over night. Maybe it was late night and early morning but I didn't notice semi-translucent appearance after CP, however first coat of TM Lite on threads made it very noticeable. Translucent orange is not the look I hoped to achieve on this one, opaque or solid orange is desired. Any comments on the mistake(s) are welcome but I'd like some ideas on how to fix. I'd prefer not to start over and was thinking about adding some Testors orange paint/pigment to second coat of TM Lite... please help.

Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: orange thread question - help
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 09:03PM

Chris,

Orange is really tough unless you use an underwrap of silver or white OR Paint under each wrap with silver or white. I've built two Univ. TN rods and painting the rod blank under each wrap got me what I wanted. Either way, I can't stress the importance of good packing - orange is just quirky IMO. Even using the NCP Orange on a dark rod can sometimes not be enough if you're looking for a solid orange. Pac Pay NCP Orange works well for me. I'm not an expert, but "fixing" it may not be the best answer unless it involves stripping it all off and starting over.

Cheers

Walt

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 09:59PM

Chris,
In addition to Walt's comments, you can use a double orange wrap on the guides to achieve the look you want.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (209.62.238.---)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:14PM

White testors model paint under the orange will give you a great, bright, solid orange look. I had the same frustration the first (and last) time I tried it without the undercoating. Even an underwrap of white or grey thread didn't look as good (IMHO)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.179.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:45PM

With orange or yellow thread I measure and mask the wrapping areas and spray on a couple of very light coats of white paint before winding on the guides. The orange (or yellow) wraps really "jump out at you."

Posted by: Chris Starling (---.gsk.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 12:58PM

Thanks guys.... looks like this is going to be a "re-do".

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:14PM

Chris,

Use the rod.
Translucent is a very pretty finish.
Perhaps not what you want, but nevertheless very nice.

I actually very much prefer the translucent look.

Unless there is an absolute requirement that it not be translucent - I would certainly leave it alone.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:22PM

I had some orange bleed through on a blue wrap.
It was for a UVA colo wrap.
I have had good results mixing up white pigment with a
pre-coat of epoxy.Then just wrap and finish.
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster