I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waterslide decals- UV question
Posted by: Chris Kettler (12.199.184.---)
Date: March 17, 2010 11:27AM

I've seen some photos of some pretty neat waterslide decals/scenes put on rods lately. Having never made my own decals I'm wondering if the do-it-yourself decals are going to hold up to UV. Is there certain paper, ink, or finish used to prevent sun fading?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waterslide decals- UV question
Posted by: Ryan Dietman (209.202.134.---)
Date: March 17, 2010 12:46PM

I've used Ink-Jet waterslide decals on all of my rods and haven't had any fade yet. I have a HP Photojet printer and apply 2-3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear before appying to the rod. Just make sure that you apply the Krylon BEFORE you cut it to exact size, or you won't be able to seperate it from the backing.

Posted by: Andrew Wright (207.14.37.---)
Date: March 17, 2010 04:50PM

I am also curious about this topic. so any ink jet printer would be capable of printing these labels? with the correct paper of coarse

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 08:08PM

Gentlemen,

I feel all pigments will fade in time, some just take longer than others. Reds and Yellows and the various tones thereof, will go the quickest. The manufacturer of the inks you intend to use could possibly tell you about the colorfastness of their inks. Check with the epoxy manufacturer also to see if UV inhibitors exist in the finish and how they slow down the UV damage. To get the best quality image from an inkjet, consider a high quality coated paper that allows the ink to stay on top instead of wicking through the fibers like in the lower quality papers.

In the photographic industry, pigment stability with modern day printing systems is of the utmost importance. However, they are not used on products that see a lot of outside UV. These images are contained to homes, offices and other places of business. Some business that have flourescent lighting usually sleeve the tubes with UV filters because this type of lighting is very stressful to artwork.

The IRIS prints of modern day Giclee printing are very stable and allow the artist to "computerize" his art so he can afford short runs of prints without paying an arm and a leg for set up fees and color seperations and still be attractive to the art investment customers. So, there are inks out there that are stable but may not be in the "consumer" arena of home products.

Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster