I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss Issues
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:31PM

Hi,

I am preparing to paint a blank for the first time.

I painted 2 coast on a broken section of a rod as a tester to see how I would go - luckily.

Painting the rod was easy, but I had issues when applying Permagloss.

When I applied PG to the painted blank, it started to take the paint off, and you could see the blank underneath!

I was using a make up pad to apply the PG.

I then tried a brush and it too took off the paint but not as much.

Did I do something wrong, or is the paint I used not suitable to use with PG.

The spray cans can be used on wood, plastic and metal, and are not specific auto paints. I have used them before on lures, but used a spray can clear to coat.

I have not found anything in the search about this problem.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss Issues
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:53PM

PermaGloss contains Xylene which will cut most paints.

The thing to do would have been to tint the PG and use it to both color and clear coat the blank in the same step.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 09:16PM

I like the durability provided by Permagloss on my painted blanks, but it's hit and miss. I've had some luck using it on top of 3 coats of automotive clear (auto clear isn't durable enough on its own). It's best to try it on a scrap blank to see if it will work with what you're using. I recently bought a spray can of Spar Urethane to see what kind of durability I get with it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 09:20PM

I have had great luck using Duplicolor spray paint coated with the Lumiseal applied with a brush. So far so good but after this summer I will have a better idea how it holds up.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 09:48PM

Permagloss is known as a hot finish. It also does not like to be brushed. What I do is number one thing is I use surgical gloves. Pour PG in the palm of your hand. Start at the tip, squeeze tight and in one swipe move to the butt. then hang the rod vertically for 3 days. If you have areas that were missed, lightly buff and repeat. make sure the blank is clean of all oils (hand oil). I clean may blanks with Acetone, wipe on and wipe off with a lint free rag
Good Wraps Bob. You are painting a blank. I would use a good auto bomb can. lightly dust coat ( no heavy coats) then wait a few minutes and dust again. You may need 4 coats be for you reach the color tone you want. lets set for a week to cure. Unless you have a hot box set at 90%. Next vary lightly buff the rod with 600 wet/dry sand paper, all you want to do is deglaze
the paint. Now you can PG it. This is why I prep my rod and take it to a friend who is a auto painter. he uses a high quality materials and adds a flex additive, The same stuff they use on fiber glass cars, boats and planes. I have a friend that does mine and he charges me 35 bucks to just paint the rod. I do all the sanding and buffing. All my jobs have a glass like finish like

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 16, 2010 10:39PM

Hi,

Tom the paint I used doesn't contain Xylene, which is probably why it reacted so much.

I didn't tint the PG because I want a solid colour rather than a tint, and I read in one of your post reply's that doing this will just tint the blank.

I will try an auto paint next time and see how that goes.

I have read in the search that some people use polyurethane clear gloss. Is this the same as the ones used on flooring and wood applications?

Would any type of clear coat used in model making, craft making be durable enough, or does it have t o be a urethane?

Unfortunately here in Australia we don't have all the same brands that the US have, so it is hard to see what products are similar.

Is Lumiseal as durable as PG?

Thanks again,

Richard

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2010 02:08AM

I've done a few and I let the paint cure for at least 2 weeks. I think because the PG is so "hot" you have to let the paint fully cure before appling the PG.

Good luck.

Date: March 17, 2010 04:12AM

Hi Stan,

I let them dry for a week before I put the PG on.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 17, 2010 07:43AM

Richard, This is why I like our LumiSeal for this application, It is not as hot as the other and doesn't have the tendency to lift the paint off of the blank, but still offers the same protection. It can also be tinted if desired.
I have painted several blanks with krylon paint and have had no issues using the LumiSeal. it is a 1 part moisture cure urethane finish.
Thanks
Scott Parsons
RodDancer
www.roddancer.com

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.90.---)
Date: March 17, 2010 07:47AM

Richard

Let the paint cure for a week or so. I use cheap foam brushes cut a slit in the brush load heavily with PG. Start at top of rod with brush one stroke to the bottom rotate about a third load brush start at top repeat rotate and do again then hang blank to cure. after it has cured if you missed anyplace you can go back and spot treat. The PG is so hot that it will soften even cured paint very rapidly. It's a good finish once its on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster