I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

walleye/pickerel blank?
Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 06:18PM

Can anyone suggest a good all around spinning blank for walleye and pickerel. I have a customer heading to Canada and wants a rod to handle mostly anything they will run into. I would like to look at something from the batson lineup because I have had nothing but quality service from them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (Rod would be used for throwing spoons and jigging minnows)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: walleye/pickerel blank?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 06:26PM

I have built several of each of the
ISB781 - medium light
ISB782 - medium

For canadian fishing . Both work very well. Either rod will catch about anything that a person is likely to encounter. If one is targeting larger fish and or fishing deep water with heavier weights, then it makes sense to use the ISB782 - due to its heavier lure rataing and action.

For those very light biting walleyes that you run into at times, then the ISB781 is a better choice with lighter baits and jigs.

The 6'6" lenght is a nice compromise for line settng ability, casting ability and handling. Some folks like shorter, some like longer, so if only one rod is going to be used, my choice is for a 6'6" rod.

Note: These are spinning rods, as opposed to a spin and jig rod. I have found that the SB rods are a bit better suited for different fishing styles compared to the SJ or spin and jig rods which have a heavier butt section.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 06:35PM

Good suggestion Roger. Those are good blanks - very strong. I have built several for clients. I think I'd lean towards the 782 if there is any size to the pike.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 07:09PM

You might consider the Batson RX7 IP843 or 844 Popping blanks.
They are also available in 2 pc.
A light tip with a little softer action in the middle, with backbone for hook setting.
Here is a link, look towards the bottom of the page.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:03PM

I would use a popping rod blank with an upper rating that matches the weight of the heaviest lure or rig that you are likely to use. Popping rods are great. Plenty of butt, with a light tip makes a very versatile rod.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:16PM

Is your client going to a fly-in camp? Make sure to get a 2 piece or the rod won't make the trip in the float plane. Most have a 6' length limit. The rod recommendations above are right on as long as your client isn't fishing for large pike.

jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster