I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stream-side repairs
Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 04:50AM

Hey all,

I picked up a small hand wrapper kit to toss into the RV in case I or my buddies run into trouble down the way. I'll throw is some common guides/tips and such and some basic (black) thread for wrapping. But what would be the best to seal it with for a reasonably quick return to the river to fish? Got tip glue for the tips, but what about guide wraps?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:54AM by John Lubben.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stream-side repairs
Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 07:27AM

i use clear fingernail polish, a buck a bottle and it holds well

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 07:31AM

For some thing quick at stream side how about one of these: [www.cabelas.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 07:59AM

Ditto on the fingernail polish. I'd add some 5 minute epoxy, in case you need to glue a handle or a seat. And, since you are a rod builder, and you probably already have more rods than you "need", just make sure to bring along a few extras.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 08:14AM

You can also use a thread bobbin to tie on a guide ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 09:12AM

For a quick fix, just CP the wrap. It will dry quickly and can easily be removed for a more permanent fix.

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: March 16, 2010 11:43AM

all i carry to my fishing locations is a stick of hot glue for tips and some electrical tape.

The last thing I want to be doing while fishing is wrapping a guide back on.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2010 11:56AM

Electrical tape is one of the quickest guide fixes I know of. If you have single foot guides, a wrap or two around the blank and then the foot on top of that and keep wrapping. The cushion from the tape underwrap will help prevent it from slipping out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 05:53PM

John,
There might be a better solution to a stream side portable rod wrapper.
The simple solution is to carry a spare rod or two.

If an issue occurs, simply use the backup rod until you get back to the shop.

--
I do agree, that it is nice to have some tools and spare parts along so that if something happens, one can go to work on the rod in the evening and fill some free time.

I guess that when I am out in the wilds - I would rather be doing - things that are wild related activities rather than shop related activities like rod building.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster