I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly blank for spinning rod
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:00AM

i am in the process of gathering info on a 2-4 piece, med action, 8-9' spinning rod that i will be building for my bro in law. he does a lot of steelhead and salmon fishing along with the occasional walleye and bass. he only wants one rod. i didnt want to spend a fortune building this rod(under $100 total) but at the same time, i want it to last through at least a couple of seasons.
i looked at getting spinning blanks but the ones that come in that length tend to be on the heavier side(he wants something lighter). i looked at fly blanks. i know that this is a possibility. would a 5/6wt match the action of a med-med/hvy action spinning rod? and is there anything else that i need to know before taking on this build? i have never built a spinning rod from a fly blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly blank for spinning rod
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:14AM

We are talking about a broad range of fishing styles and techniques here. If most of his fishing is for steelhead and salmon I would lean towards a blank designed for that purpose. As for the fly blank, the blank has no idea what you are using it for so if you find a fly blank that you think will work then build it.

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:35AM

I would suggest at least a 6 weight fly to convert to a med. spinning. I have made spinning rods from fly blanks, for different reasons, a few times, with good results. I trimmed the butt or tip to get the action I wanted. I really like to start with a spray rod blank. However, having said that let me add; unless you are experimenting you are better off using a spinning blank in the first place. It's easier to predict the end result.
But if you have a sense of adventure, go for it. You can often find fly or spray on sale so if you don't like the results it's no big deal.
John

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 02:43PM

Few fly anglers would take much less than an 8 wt. fly rod after steelhead and pacific salmon. You might land some steelhead and salmon with a spin rod built on a lighter fly-rod blank, but you risk fighting them to death.
On the positive side, you can find lots of 4-piece fly rod blanks from many price ranges to build into a spin rod. If an angler has to fly to his fishing destination the 4 piece blank is a logistical blessing.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 04:04PM

Cheng, see Utmost's site listed at the left. Check out their closeout blanks for the steelhead blanks. They are 2 piece and have two different weight ratings in an 8 1/2 rod. It could be what your looking for.

Posted by: Lyman Yee (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 07:46PM

I just built a spinning rod with a 9ft 4pc 10wt blank to take to Baja. I couldn't find a multi piece spinning blank for travel so I opted for the Tiger Eye saltwater fly blank. It's a great value. It'll throw up to 3/4 ounce lures and has a nice med fast action.

Posted by: David McDonough (199.128.183.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:05PM

A few months back I built a "salmon/steelhead" spinning rod from an 8 weight blank that I had spare. It is nice for casting light rigs but is definitely as light as I would go. I'm planning a silver salmon trip to AK later this year and wish it were built from a 10 weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster