I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Easiest dec wrap to do
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 11:12PM

I have been practicing on a dowel. Just playing around with different colors and learning the techniques to start and finish a wrap. Now I want to practice with a simple pattern. So what kinds are real easy to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easiest dec wrap to do
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 11:53PM

I would reccomend just a simple dimond or chevron crosswrap. They are both very easy.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 07:46AM

A chevron wrap is 1/2 the work and technically easier than a diamond wrap.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 07:59AM

Here are two sites that should give you lots of info on wrapping: [threadcentral.net]
[rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:00AM

Tiger wrap. Even if you mess it up, it'll look like you meant to.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:13AM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tiger wrap. Even if you mess it up, it'll look
> like you meant to.

Not really in my opinion. Tiger/holo wraps are quick & easy once one learns how to do a few things well and understands the technique. However, doing a simple open chevron is less challenging and not much can "go wrong" and ruin the wrap unlike what a simple mistake can do to a tiger/holo wrap. Not much to "mess up" doing a simple crosswrap but several opportunities to mess up exist doing a good tiger/holo wrap.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 08:40AM

Raymond, it was easier for me. Evrybody is a little different.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 09:07AM

Tiger wrap isn't a Dec Wrap in any way, shape, or form. Probably easier than a chevron would be a barber pole wrap, but I don't consider that a DW either since nothing crosses.

What are you looking todo, something complicated or something simple? MY answer would be to do a Spider wrap, but it depends on what resources you currently have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2010 09:21AM

It might be better to say that a Tiger Wrap is a decorative wrap, but it is not a crosswrap. They're both decorative, but based on entirely different methods.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 10:04AM

I would say the cheverons would be the easiest. It is easy to dress it up by doing a fade or a simple metallic thread thrown in there. And a majority of your wraps start with a cheveron, so you why not start there. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.236.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:45AM

Do a chevron. I bet that is one of the first ones most everyone does. For my money its the easiest.
I dont think the tiger is a good one to start with. It does not build into other things like a crosswrap chevron does.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 05:53PM

Thanks guys. Yes I want to do a cross wrap at this time and not a Tiger wrap or similar...yet. But I understand what Matthew meant in terms of if I mess it up it's not so noticable. That's me right now

I do like the chevron patterns and will probably start there. I also like the spiders. Maybe I'll do both

I've got a complete shop set up in my basement now with work benches, wrapper, dryer, threads, etc

Thanks again for all the info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster