I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guides for spinning rod
Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 04:35PM

I am building a trout rod with micro guides. I am going to set the rod up as a spinning rod, but I dont know what size guide to use as a stripper . Has any one built this type rod before and can you help. I have a 6'6" light action rod and # 4 micro guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides for spinning rod
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 04:40PM

Have built many
What size reel you going to use?
What type of line?
What size line?
And any other info that might assist people in giving you an informed answer

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 04:50PM

Rule of thumb for a spinning rod is to use a butt guide with a ring that is 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool at the lip.

That said, I've found you can go with a smaller ring if you keep the height and or when using braided line.

Like Steve said, need morer info.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: March 13, 2010 05:09PM

Thanks for your help, I need all I can get. As for the Q's above, reel something in the 1000 size 80 yards or so of 6# test mono.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 05:41PM

A #20 would work fine then.

I'd go with a #20, #16, #10, then your #4's to the tip but I would also try test casting with it starting with the #16 instead of the #20 especially if I thought I might
be using a smaller reel in the future.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.sub-75-234-41.myvzw.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 05:51PM

I use 16s with 3000 size reels. I'd say order a 16 and a 12 and see which works better for you. go with the highest framed guide you can for the stripper. My gut would be to try a 12 if you are putting on a 1000 reel.

Following the 16, id go low 8, fly 6 and then 4s.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 06:10PM

i just built a similar setup and i went 16M guide 16vs guide i think i used a 10 or 8 then 4's the rest of the way using pac bay minimas.. i don't have the rod handy to look at it. it will change of course if you go with different guides, but i would still start with a 16. if you use an M guide you can get the height for a good setup

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 09:58PM

All three of the above posts represent excellent advice, and as you can see you have a few different options to work with, depending on what you want to accomplish.
I will also put one more out there and that is with that light of a line you could get away with even a 10mm guide.
Since you are new to building then I would advice trying two or three of the options the learning experience is priceless, and the extra guides represent a minimal cost and you will have them to use later on other rods or for further experimenting.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 12:46PM

All of the posts are excellent with respect to this question.

The only thing that I might suggest is to use one of the setups listed above and make a couple of tests.
As posted, I would likely go with a 20,16,10 - 6, and 4s.

Do some test casting with a weight of the size - with which you will normally fish. Just do the test casting with the guides taped in place. Do at least 20 or so casts to be able to replicate the distance pretty well.

Then, change only the first guide - first to a size 25 - repeat the tests, and then to a size 30 and repeat the tests.

Finally, repeat the tests with both 4 lb test line - as well as with 8 lb test line.

My guess is that the 20 size stripper will be a pretty good size, but you might find that for some conditions - whether is is wind, line size, and or possible different reel size - that a size 25 or 30 might actually be a better choice.

--
Just as a thought, for most of my spinning style fishing, I have gradually been switching over to the Bass Pro Shops extreme reel, which is the same reel design as the ones made by US Reel co. These are small reels with very large - thin spools.
I had thought that when I first saw them on the market that they would work well for distance casting, because there are many fewer "(loops)" in the line for the same distance compared to the typical 1000 sized reel. Another thing that I like about these reels is that they have about a 31 inch line retrieve per turn of the handle. This compares to about 19 inch's retrieve per turn of the handle for a conventional 1000 sized reel.

But the weight of the reel is still very light. The smallest of the Extreme reels - still having the very large spool is only 5.5 Oz's. So the weight is comparable to some of these more common conventional reels.

Thus, with the very large spools on these reels, I tend to use a size 30 stripper on most of my personal spinning rod setups. (Note, that the spool size of these extreme reels is nearly double the size of the spool of the common 1000 sized reels.

Take care and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 01:37PM

Great advise about guide sizing above. The most important thing I have found with spinning setups is a lot of test casting with the actual reel, line and lure you are intending to throw. No matter how many micro spinning rods I setup I am always a bit off with my shop setup....

I typically use 3000 size reels with 8lb Flourocarbon. Most of my setups have been 16,8,5,3's to the tip. The Butt and second guide tend to change from time to time for different blanks and reels. I use batson H rings for the micro's, but I like the Alconites for the larger guides...Just like the frame better than the VS.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.pg.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:16PM

I have a question about the recommendation and a hijack question/topic. :-)

When you recommend starting with a 20 or 16, does that mean you are starting with a "regular" guide and then transitioning into the micro guides? I would like to build a spinning rod that will have a 5' flouro leader attached to braid with a uni to uni knot. The line sizes will be no bigger than 10#. What is the smallest guide size that can accommodate that?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Date: March 15, 2010 09:10PM

Thank You Gentlemen, I believe that you have helped me and now I have the information that I need to build my rod.
Thanks Again Chris.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster