I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wow what a show!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 12:20AM

Sorry for the late post on the 2010 ICRBE but I've been under the weather & somewhat away with cold/flu & tooth extrations since I got back from NC.

I've been to other rod building shows/gatherings but this was my first ICRBE. It was FANTASTIC!

Thanks to Tom, the Show Place, Vendors, & Attendees.

I came from the west coast on a shoestring budget and unfortunately, wasn't able to shop hardly at all but I still was able to pick up a few small goodies and contribute to a few Vendor's bottom line.

Most of all, meeting everyone during & after the show days in the eve. was a big thrill. I finally got to shake hands with Bill & Lance from Swampland, Silvia & Joe from Bullard International, Bill & Martha from Cason Custom Rod Finishes, J.P Timberlake, Keven Knox (Angler's Envy) & many others from the list on the left that I've been working & corrisponding with for a long time.

I made a lot of new friends & finally got to toss a couple down with many old friends long missed especially Mike Barkley, David Gilberg, & Jay Hunt, & Sam Fox & his wife.

I can't stress highly enough how great it is to have rod building shows/gatherings to attend. Every one of them I've been to has been a great pleasure and learning experience for me especially the BIG ONE the 2010 ICRBE.
THANK YOU !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wow what a show!
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 09:11AM

It was great to meet you there Ray. (We spoke outside at the end of the day Sunday...you were headed bacck to CA, and Karen and I were spending another night before returning to FL.
LOVE your thread work on glassware!

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:30PM

Raymond,

The pleasure was truly all ours. I would like to point out once again what a hit your aperitif glasses were with the Ol’ Snag logo. If they were picked up and studied once, they were a thousand times. No one could believe the job you did with the DIAMOND II, finishing your weave—really fantastic.

Because I have mentioned my mother in posts and emails, so many of you have taken her into your hearts as you did Gene. During the ICRBE weekend many of you asked about her and relayed good wishes for her. I can’t tell you how special that was to me. I would like to share an email from my mother after hearing what Raymond Adams had so kindly done for us.

“ Silvia, I am so impressed with this work of art I just can’t imagine that anyone would do this intricate work to give to you – just as a gift - with no expectation of any gain for himself as you say this was done. I think – and really I know – that you were actually humbled to know that this was done as a tribute to Uncle Gene’s pride and joy – his business – whether intended as a tribute, I don’t know. But as Gene’s sister and one who always wanted to build him up to the ‘sky,’ I look at it as a tribute – and wouldn’t Gene be pleased! Gene once told me in his later years that he could always depend on me for support in whatever endeavor; and that was true – I knew he deserved my support.

I hope you will express my appreciation and admiration for what must have been a tiring and endless task that he chose as a gift. I don’t know what business he is in, but this guy surely must have a future in some type of artistic expression! Love, Mom “

This says it all! Yes, we were humbled, and Raymond thank you again.

Silvia Davis

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 10, 2010 07:02PM

Ray, I know you were busy and I didn't get to spend a lot of time with you but after corresponding with you for a lot of years it was a real pleasure to meet you in person. I'll tell Steve Cox that you said hey.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 08:01PM

Sam & Gary,

Hope to see you guys again. It really was a pleasure.

Silvia,

I'm speechless. Thank you for sharing your Mom's kind words. After reading this earlier today I've been trying all afternoon to find the right
words but I'm still at a loss.

Thank You,

Of course it would take a book to mention everyone but I failed earlier to say what a privilege it was to meet Billy V. & the NERBS, Andy Renzetti, Ken Preston & his wife (I nominate her as QUEEN NERB!), and especially Gary Loomis, Jon Bial & the rest of the North Fork crew!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 08:09PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: March 11, 2010 08:47AM

Raymond is what we call a "mensch" in my area. It is a Jewish term used to denote someone who gives freely with no expectation of personal gain (among other things). Basically a "good guy" if you will. Somehow it has become unfashionable to be such a person. It is almost as if it is looked upon as allowing people to take advantage of you. That is a shame and not as God intended us to be (IMHO).

Maybe nice guys do finish last but I choose to believe we will get the last laugh in the hereafter.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 10:42AM

I will be back again next year...no question about that. Even if there were no great deals, just hanging with all the great folks who work in this trade/hobby/art would be worth the 11 hour drive...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster