I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX MB843 or MB844
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 10:07PM

I have a customer that wants a 7' bait casting rod for top water plugs, spinnerbaits and other trebble hook baits.
He's going to use 20 lb. braid and he's looking to get good distance.
(Right now planning on using #5 running guides.)

Based on the specs. the MHX MB843 would do the job, (10-17 line, 3/16-3/4 oz.lures)
the MB844 looks a bit too heavy (12-20, 3/16-1 oz.).
A few weeks ago the 844 was recommended as a good jig / worm rod.
Does anyone have experience with these blanks? comments appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX MB843 or MB844
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 09, 2010 10:46PM

might want to consider one of the popping/cb blanks instead. MB seems pretty fast for those techniques.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 10:47PM

They are both pretty fast action blanks - not my first choice for spinnerbaits or treble hooks (especially with braid), except for maybe the topwater. Thats my initial thought. I think I would look for something with a little more moderate action. Maybe others have an idea in the MHX line. All the ones I have are pretty fast, even the CB845 is pretty fast.

Posted by: Joe Robertson (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2010 11:48PM

The MB843 definitely has a fast action. I would think the CB845 would be your best bet out the MHX blanks. You might also check out the CRB Inshore ISP705, I don't know if it would be too heavy but might be worth looking at. I recently built a crankbait, spinnerbait rod on a Lamiglas Composite Crankbait blank, CCB844M, that I really like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 12:28AM by Joe Robertson.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 02:16AM

From your choices, the 843. But for me the topwater choice would be a MH popping blank (IP904) and the spinnerbait choice would depend on how I used the rod with the 843 being my all around choice. The 844 continues to be my favorite rod, it landed 8 Striped Bass less than 6 hours ago throwing jigs....GREAT blank.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 10:28AM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.191.---)
Date: March 10, 2010 07:36AM

I think the MHX SB812 would be a better choice.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 09:19AM

Depending on exactly what top water technique he is looking to do a mag bass blank may be the best choice. On the lakes where Alex and I fish top water means throwing a Sammy as far as possible in open water, if that is the case the faster action helps get the walk the dog action you are looking for, also the extra butt power helps get a good hook set at the end of a long cast. On the other hand if top water means short casts with a popper around cover a moderate action crankbait blank would be better.

If your customer is looking for a rod to fish like I described in option one the MB843 would be an excellent choice. If you are looking for maximum distance don’t stop at #5 guides, the smaller the better.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 09:47AM

For the KHX line I would do the SB812..just built a few for that purpose....another option is the Batson ISB802.75

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 11:01AM

I spent yesterday on the water throwing topwaters most of the day for the better part. I was using the P844-MHX, DS822-Blend & CB843-Blend. To be very honest for the 3" - 4" Top Pups, and Super Spook Jr.s and the newer small Ba-donk-a- donks. The P844 was a bit stiff in the tip I think the 843 would have been much better. The CB843 worked very well especially for the smaller ones. I would think the SB811-Blend would be a very good option also.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mark Nelson (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 09:02PM

I built myself 4 rods on the MHX line this winter. CB843 - MB843 - SJ843 - SJ842 all with recoils. To me these blanks seem very similair to Loomis IMX blanks. I like the blanks alot but they don't seem that fast to me. I see the CB843 as a "Bandit 200" type rod. The MB843 as a T rigged worm rod, not stiff enough for me as a jig rod but of all of them I may be the most wrong on this one. The SJ842 came out as the perfect tube or darter rod, everyone who's seen it trys to steal it. I intend to use the SJ843 for jerk baits similair to Pointer 100's. Over all I'm very pleased with the blanks.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 10:36PM

They seem fast to me...and CCS.

SJ842-MHX AA 79
MB782-MHX AA 73
MB844-MHX AA 75

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster