I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Finish Without Turning
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 03:08PM

I remember seeing a post about applying epoxy finish very thinly and not needing to turn the rod while it dries. Has anyone had success with this? What finish do you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Finish Without Turning
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 03:14PM

There are some that turn the rod by hand for the finish. Any of the finishes will work. It is not that you do not turn the rod at all, but it is turned 180 degrees at a time throughout the drying process. I am sure others here that apply finish that way will explain it better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2010 03:24PM

I have never used a rotation device for turning a rod while drying. I've always done them by hand.

You turn the rod only as often as it's needed - the instant it begins to get thicker on the bottom than on the top it's time to flip the rod. Initially this has to be done every couple minutes, then it becomes 5 minutes, then 10, etc. Takes about 2 hours before you're done.

It will work with any epoxy finish on the market and you're likely to find that it you the best results you've ever had.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 06:56PM

You can, in fact, use epoxy finish and put it on so thin that the rod doesn't need any turning. It's a method I used ages ago, when I could only devote a few minutes to putting on epoxy, and I had no time/chance to baby-sit the rod. I think I was using one of the light finishes--maybe U40.

Here's what I would do. I'd heat my resin for 10-15 seconds in the microwave, mix my finish, and pour it on some aluminum foil. Then--using a fairly stiff brush--I'd put fairly thick globs of epoxy on the wraps, so that the thread was well-saturated. Once done with the whole rod, I'd go back with the brush, and brush ALL the excess off. With all the excess off the wraps, you can just walk away--there's nothing left to sag. I'd do the next coat the same way, then the next, and the next, and the next, etc., etc. All in all, it would take around 7 coats to get a finish thick enough that I couldn't see individual threads anymore.

Now--there are a number of down-sides to this method. The first is that you spend a fortune in finish epoxy. Second, you have to remember to put another coat on every 24 hours (or 36). That's not that big a deal when you're doing one or two coats, but when it's 7 evenings in a row, that's hard to remember. Third, even though epoxy will work with this method, it's not what epoxy was meant to do. In fact, if you like the "no turn" method, you'll likely be better off with something like permagloss.

But, if you like the look of epoxy instead of permagloss, and you don't mind the cost and the multiple coats, you can get a really nice, flat finish.

FWIW, now that I have more time, I do it exactly like Tom says. It's way easier, and it allows the epoxy to do its job (i.e. level itself out).

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 10:39AM

Curtis,
Yes, all of the afore mentioned methods will work to apply finish.

However, if you are in the middle of multiple builds; none of them are really well suited for a production or semi production environment.

When building multiple rods, you need to have a process where you coat a rod, get it set up the dryer, turn on the dryer,and forget the rod so that you can get on to other things in the shop.

Yes, if you are only working on one rod, yes, if you have the time and ability to check on a rod every 3-20 minutes during the setup process, yes, if you want to use other techniques to achieve that wonderful finish without the use of a dryer - go for it.

But, a dryer motor and chuck is quite inexpensive. Then, all that you need is one wooden V block and a T block made of another piece of wood to mount the motor and chuck to hold the rod - so why NOT use a dryer to simplify your life, get 100% excellent quality results every time and free up your time to be doing other things while the rod is drying.

However, that is the wonderful thing about the free enterprise system. Use any method that works for you, with your time and resource restraints to execute the job.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2010 04:59PM

I've been using Permagloss, but I was curious about 2-part finishes. It would be nice to get just a big more depth with a single application. Maybe I'll just keep using the Permagloss. Thanks for the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 05:09PM by Curtis Trompler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster