I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread
Posted by: Chris Cattell (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 11:21AM

I hae to ask. Ive been wrapppimg rods for aabout ten years now. My wife has taken me to a fabric store for years. my question: what is wrong with using nylon thread? # 69 nylon has the same qualities as the stuff that I buy specificly for rods. The only difference that I can see is the number of color selection that the fabric store has. Please, for disscusion, what is the difference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 12:04PM

Many ofthe fabric store threads have a silicone based lubricant added to them to facilitate smooth running through high speed sewing machines.
That same silicone lubricant can play havoc with your epoxy finish causing fish eyes, creators, and pulling back from the edges of the threads. Some people use CP to help prevent this I however don't know the results because I don't use any.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 12:22PM

Pick up a Spool and give it a shot! do three wraps(1") then give one 1 coat of CP then the next two coats and so on. Try one with no CP

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 01:56PM

save your self the hart ace and just buy rod wrapping thread !

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 02:33PM

Nylon and polyester threads work fine. Avoid cotton and rayon!!!
There may be silicone lubricant, depending on the thread, and it can wreak havoc on your finish, if you don't seal it in with CP. I alway use 3 coats. The sizing is a little different. 60 wt. is close to size A.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 05:33PM

Here's a link about thread and the different sizes and types.
[www.thethreadexchange.com]

A friend in the garment industry told me that most nylon thread does not have any lubricant added, both since it's really not needed and for allergenic reasons if used in clothing. There is a such thing though as waxed thread but its marked as such.

From what I can tell most rod building thread is very smooth and fuzz free. It's also more uniform in diameter than is most sewing threads. I would also think that it's made to better withstand sunlight than plain nylon sewing thread.

However I don't see why it's so much more expensive then standard nylon or polyester thread. I can buy a 440 yard roll of say size 69 nylon thread in the hobby store or sewing store here for $.50 or less yet wrapping thread in a 100 yard spool is at least $4.00.
I would also think that if wrapping thread has no silicone added, then it would be less expensive since it's one less thing they have to add to it.
I've seen rods built with plain thread, some hold up fine, others have faded badly. One of the first rods I re-wrapped over 30 years ago still looks good today, with only slight yellowing of the old school varnish coating. It was a trash picked rod I re-wrapped by hand using what ever thread was at hand. Most likely polyester, but it was what ever I found around the house. It worked and worked for many years til I finally retired that rod for something newer. It caught plenty of fish and never had any issues.

My biggest concern today would be in whether or not there is a difference in the UV resistance in plain sewing thread vs. wrapping thread. No one wants to build a rod with red wraps today only to have it turn pink or orange in a few years.

I have been told that some thread intended for modern embroidery machines does include some sort of coating or lube, but I'm not sure if that holds true across the board for all thread.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 06:32PM

Unfortunately when you attach rod building to anything, the price is usually increased. I see that in silk thread prices.

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:06PM

Nylon threads can come in several forms...1) basic nylon twisted for sewing applications with silicone ( silicone aids in processing through machines), 2) basic nylon twisted for sewing applications with no silicone ( this material is sold for rod winding applications...think Rice), 3) nylon twisted exclusively for rod winding applications with no silicone...think FishHawk. This style of thread has a certain amount of twists per inch so the thread has a more round appearance and should pack better and more even. 4) There is also an opaque version of nylon called Color Lok. The thread is treated with chalk so no light can pass through the translucent nylon and affect the color, thus no CP is required.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster