I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommend a Miniature Bench Grinder?
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 04:59PM

Can anyone recommend a really good small bench grinder with solid controls and variable speed?

I am tired of the Harbor Freight cheapie as the controls do not sit where you dial them and it seems like there is no low end to speeds (RPMs) that often cause me to take off too much material. I am going to use for buffing with the 3" Unified Wheel and some grinding - all related to guide feet.

I see 3" and 6" out there but the 3' all appear to be the cheapies that I loathe. Do I need a 3" or a 6" if only using for guide feet? Will a 6" accommodate the 3" Unified Wheel OK?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommend a Miniature Bench Grinder?
Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:16PM

wife got me a dremel 400 with some attachments that i use for working the feet , cork, etc. i'd give it my approval

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:54PM

Dremel Stylus 1100 ... cordless lithium-ion technology, great ergonomics and does a wonderful job.

[www.dremel.com]

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 08:44PM

Tony: Check your email.Sent you something you might be interested in.

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 08:45PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 10:35PM

Yup, Dremel's the way to go.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 10:46PM

Tony,
Lose the grinder and get a sander:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Pick up a selection of sandpaper belts - ranging from 100 to 400 grit. Put on the grit that you need and sand away. For guide feet, I typically use about 220 grit, or sometimes 320.

Here is a possible source for sanding belts:
[www.amazon.com]

Another nice thing about using the belt sander, is that you can set the sander at right angles to you. That way, it makes it very easy to prep guide feet. I quick twist of the wrist and the guide is sanded.
Another neat thing about prepping guide feet like this with relatively fine paper is that it will leave slight sanding marks at right angles to the guide foot which really hold the thread wraps very nicely.

Once you start using a belt sander for prepping guide feet, I doubt that you will ever go back to a conventional grinder or a dremel tool.

In a word - it simply works very very well.

I have had this particular harbor freight sander for many years.

I also have several more 42 inch sanders in my handle turning shop that I use when working with cork.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 12:19AM by roger wilson.

Date: March 07, 2010 10:48PM

p.s.
This bench top 1X30 inch sander is also a very nice small foot print. It is about 10 inches square, so it takes up very little bench space.
One thing that you want, if you pick up a sander is a good light. It is nice to have a bright light, right in the area where you are sanding.
I use a small 20 watt halogen desktop light that has a gooseneck on the light so that you can take the small light head and direct it where you need it for the best light on what you are sanding.

Something like this:

[www.amazon.com]

You can find lights like these in lots of places - stationary stores, big box stores, and don't discount good will and the salvation army.

I picked up about a dozen of these goose neck lights from the Good will for $1 each. These were actually brand new lights that didn't work. They had been turned in by one of the big box stores.
I bought a box of bulbs, replaced the halogen bulbs and they all worked just fine.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 10:51PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2010 08:21AM

For prepping guide feet, a belt sander is hard to beat. Follow it with the special "unified wheel" sold by Bingham Ent. and you have a system that will prep and polish a guide foot in mere seconds.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 08:45AM

I use a combination belt sander/disc sander for prepping feet AND for shaping cork directly on the blank. It works like a dream.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:50AM

I've been using a belt sander for about 5 years now, and wo'nt go back to files unless we have a power failure.

Date: March 08, 2010 11:36AM

In addition to the previous comments, one of the things that I really appreciate about using a belt sander is the ability to use a tapered stick to hold the guide being prepped.

i.e. simply take a dowel, an old tapered artists brush handle or similar. In particular when working with some of the smaller guides, it is difficult to hold the guides securely while prepping the foot.

I will take a few different sized tapered sticks and have a tapered stick that will allow me to just slip the guide on the end of the tapered stick. Then, I trim the stick so that it only protrudes about 1/4 inch past the end of the stick.

Then, when prepping the guide foot, if necessary, the end of the stick may end up behind the rotating belt of the belt sander. No big deal, because with a vertical belt sander as shown above and using either just the belt itself or the thin backing plate of the sander, there is room behind the belt and or backing plate for a holding jig if needed.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 05:38PM

I'll second the sander option, its so much easier to control what your doing and its far more versatile than a grinding wheel or hand grinder. Plus if what your grinding slips, a sander isn't likely to destroy what your working on.

I have an older model with a foot control, I can control the speed from about 5 rpm to full speed.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 07:01PM

Thanks to all who replied. I do use a belt sander for prepping the guide, but I still want a small grinder to turn the unified wheel.

Posted by: Anonymous User (62.189.57.---)
Date: March 12, 2010 07:23AM

I've also got a belt sander I'd like to use but it's impossible, (at least I've found it impossible), to get 220 or 320 grit belts here in the UK.
Even Amazon dont list them here.
Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster