I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Castaway Blanks
Posted by: Will Graham (208.93.35.---)
Date: March 07, 2010 01:43PM

What is everyone's opinion on Castaway blanks? Do they compare to MHX or Batson? Also are they manufactured in the U.S.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Castaway Blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: March 07, 2010 02:06PM

IMO, they are nice blanks AND well priced. Lance at Swampland does a good job with helping folks pick the right blank for the application. As to whether they "compare" to MHX and Batson products - only YOU can decide. Unless something has changed, they are NOT manufactured in the US - they are produced in the "Eastern Rim" per earlier discussions.

Why don't you give Lance at call on Monday and have a discussion with him ... nothing beats a discussion directly with the vendor.

Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 02:41PM

I've fished Castaway blanks in the Lower Laguna Madre of Texas for trout, flounder and redfish; Lake Fork Texas for bass; Lake Okechobee for bass; and in the 1,000 island area of the Florida Keys for snook and the only performance issue I've had was when I rolled an electric window up and didn't realize the tip had gone outside the car when I rolled the window down and I broke the TT off. I have a couple of Castaways that I've fished hard for 15 years and they keep on going. I hope this helps.
Sam

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 02:44PM

I build on a bunch of Castaway blanks and they are hard to beat for the money ,quality and performance. As Jim said, give Lance a call Monday and I'm sure he will fix you up with a top quality blank that will suit your needs.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 04:13PM

They are pretty good blanks, I still curse JP Timberlake for beating me to all of the HG40 popping blanks Lance had at the show. Those make the best shallow to small medium crankbait rods I have ever used.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:29PM

And to think, I held all of them for him while he went back inside to get his keys. I could have added a handfull to my armload and he would never have missed them. JP I hope all your hooks rust !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.191.---)
Date: March 07, 2010 06:40PM

You will well pleased if you build on these. I have built on many and they indeed are a good blank and they are priced very well. There very straight and light with a very consistant finish. I had one of my Pro Staffers come to the expo and he put his hands on every blank manufacturer there, he bought a few blanks for me to build on, Castaway's. Give Lance a call he will direct you on application and series.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 07:11PM

You can't go wrong with CastAway blanks, great quality and performance, good prices and you always get great service from Lance and Bill at Swampland.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 07:25PM

I love them ......

I think they are one of the last ones manufactured here in the US .......... Batson and others are from the Far East

Date: March 07, 2010 08:58PM

Richard Hahn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love them ......
>
> I think they are one of the last ones manufactured
> here in the US .......... Batson and others are
> from the Far East

A post from approximately one year ago ...

The Castaway XP3 is a proprietary blank built exclusively for and to the exact specifications of Castaway Rods, in an Eastern Rim manufacturing plant, using "state of the art" tooling and high quality materials. The factory blanks are subject to an extremely high level of quality control. Prior to shipping from the Castaway facility in Montgomery, Texas all blanks are carefully inspected and each blank is subject to passing an amazing "production" type blank stress load test by a highly trained technician.

Swampland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 10:15PM

which is is castaway top of line rod blank in bass series models and i'm not sure which one is but i'm trying to get some top of line ..

Date: March 07, 2010 11:02PM

Call Lance at Swampland ... he will point you in the right direction. Click on the link in the vendor list on the left - the phone number is listed on the website.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:59AM

Josh when purchasing blanks for the building of task specific bass rods the "top of the line" may not end up as the only requirement. Read the feature story by Gary Klein in the current issue of Bass Master Magazine describing the proper choice of blanks for power applications. The XP3 and the HG40 blanks by Castaway are all task specific. Please take the opportunity to use the Constact Us link at: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 08:52AM

I have been building on MHX blanks and I love them. So do the flats guides I have built rods for with those blanks.
I bought some very promising Castaways at the ICRBE from Lance, and have build a few rods with them. They are currently being tested, with my flats guys giving them reviews on a par with the MXX rods.
This is all subjective though...why not build a MHX and a comparable Castaway and decide for yourself?

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 08, 2010 05:24PM

I stand corrected ............. regardless ....... they are great blanks ............. all of the ones I had were straight as an arrow and I love the feel when playing a striper in the Chesapeake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster