I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber Vinyl Decal and Epoxy
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 10:41PM

Anyone ever use a carbon fiber decal on the split grip area of a blank? I ordered a carbon fiber decal in a vinyl type material, not sure if I can epoxy over this product. Planning to use Flexcoat HiBuild. Do you think this will work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Vinyl Decal and Epoxy
Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: March 07, 2010 07:40AM

While I haven't tried it, I really don't think you'll have any issues. Epoxies really don't react with much so they're pretty safe to use.

If you're worried...cut a small piece and stick it down to a plastic coffee lid. Then put a few drops of finish on it. The finish will level out and cure. You'll see if they don't like each other.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 09:35AM

It should be fine, this is the same thing we are doing with the Electric decals we print on decal media.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 09:59PM

Hey Brian,

Is the product you are speaking of the item listed below? A couple of years ago I used some sign vinyl with epoxy and the coverage and adhesion was great. I just made sure it was cleaned of any contaminants before I applied the epoxy. As Matt said, epoxies are fairly docile substances that don't bother much of anything - except one's nerves . . .!!

Get the Carbon Fiber Look!
Oracal® Series 975 Carbon Fiber Cast
Introducing NEW ORACAL® Series 975 Carbon Fiber Cast a 5 mil, textured surface film specially developed for interior design, automotive trim and interior/exterior accent restyling. Series 975 features a transparent, solvent-based, repositionable adhesive with exceptional dimensional stability and conformability over uneven, arched, curved and flat surfaces. Available in Black, Brown, Silver-Grey and Anthracite.

This would be quite an interesting look - I guess you get these from a sign shop??

Charlie

Posted by: Timmon Lund (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:38PM

Couldn't you use the carbon fiber sleeving like used on the foam core handles in a smaller diameter? Riley rods sells it as small as .75 I think and it can be pulled tight to fit snug. Just an idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster