I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping mishap help
Posted by: brad baker (216.198.182.---)
Date: March 05, 2010 10:07PM

After a UPS mishandling my rod arrived at it's orgin. The PVC container ends had been removed and taped with their clear plastic tape. I originally had duct tape which for some reason was removed. After inspection it was found that the cerramic insert on the stripper guide had come out and broke into several pieces. The medal frame is in good shape, but can one replace just the ceramic? or even buy? Thanks for all who have helped,

Brad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping mishap help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2010 10:12PM

No, you can't buy just the ring. Best bet is to remove the guide and replace it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 12:44AM

Brad,
You are fortunate that only the ceramic was broken on the rod.
My guess is that UPS discovered that the container was damaged in shipment and wanted to acess the damage to the rod - to computer their liablity.

Or, it may be possible that the end cap had simply worked loose and needed a replacement. If the cap had come loose, it is possible that the rod had worked its way out of the tube and somewhere along the line had damaged the guide insert.

As Tom said - the guide needs to be replaced.

Roger

Date: March 06, 2010 01:23AM

That is a total bummer. it was a gift for a friend too. Thanks for the help guys.

Date: March 06, 2010 02:09AM

Brad,
If this was a rod that you built, it should only take a few minutes to strip off the guide, tape on a new one, wrap and finish it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 08:13AM

I think the concern here is it is at a remote location that it was shipped to. It needs to go through 2 shipping cycles to be repaired. Kind of like getting a new car with a scratch already on it and sending it back to get fixed.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 08:40AM

YOu could get a ring form another guide, heat it up, pop the ring out, clean the dried epoxy off the inside of the guide frame that brokke, put a bit of 5 minute epoxy on teh ring, heat the guide frame,press fit teh guide ring into teh frame, and hope it doesn't pop back out.

Or redo teh guide wrap and not worry about it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 08:41AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 10:38AM

I agree, with UPS your lucky it was just a guide. A few years ago I had ordered a number of E Glass blanks for some offshore rods, they were shipped individually wrapped in paper, bundled together with masking tape and slid into a 6" PVC tube, the tube was filled completely with the blanks which were alternately stacked as well and the bundle was wrapped with bubble wrap to prevent movement. The seller had red plastic plugs in each end which were hot glued and duct taped in place. Somehow they managed to snap the entire bundle in half at the middle.
The only thing I could figure was that they either ran it over or rammed it into a concrete wall with a fork lift. The end caps were ripped open on both ends, the tube was shattered, and every last rod was snapped. It arrived on my step with a sticker stating something to the effect that they had opened it to inspect for possible damage. After that incident and one where they somehow managed to bend a driveshaft for my outboard, I haven't dealt with them at all since. Insurance covered it cost wise but the blanks were a discontinued item and were not replaceable.
Knock on wood, Fed Ex has been perfect so far. Most of my rod shipping is incoming blanks, I only end up shipping one or two completed rods each year, but I still cringe any time I send one out in a tube.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 10:57AM

I now fedex won't let you ship with duct tape. you have to use clear packing tape to close up a box. I guess duct tape can come loose and stick to other boxes or something. UPS might be the same way and removed it.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 01:51PM

I use the Post office and have not had any problems in several years.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 02:57PM

I use FEDEX and use nothing but duct tape. Maybe different areas have different rules?

Date: March 06, 2010 03:05PM

Do you think I should claim it?

Date: March 06, 2010 06:51PM

Reply,
No reason to NOT claim it.
If you put in a claim for an amount to cover your time and trouble to fix the rod - plus shipping both ways, that should be a reasonable amount.

I assume that you put a few $$$ insurance on it when you shipped it?

Take care
Roger

Date: March 07, 2010 08:50PM

ok, will see what happens. Thanks again for all the help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster