I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mating cork grip to reel seat
Posted by: Tom Mintmier (---.northstate.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 11:59AM

I haven't build a rod for fifteen years and got the itch to start back up. I have ordered a rod kit from Cabeles and started the process. The one thing I have noticed is that in the past most of the rods I had built had the butt end of the grip hollwed out so that the reel seat would actully slide up inside the base of the grip. The kit I purchased, which is a 9' 6" 7 wt,, has no cut out. Are you to just butt the end of the reel seat up against the grip or am I to carve out the end of the grip to let it recess inside? Will I get the same rigidity in the seat if I just butt it against the grip?

Any thoughts would be apprecatied.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mating cork grip to reel seat
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: March 05, 2010 12:22PM

Some grips are still recessed, others are not, I have not built a recessed seat yet, All my fly rods have the seat butted against the bottom of the grip. I will however be inletting my next grip on an 8wt for a skeleton seat. It's all how you want to build it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2010 12:27PM

Some seats are made to have their forward hood buried into the rear of the grip. Others are not. It all depends on seat you'll be working with.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 01:42PM

Tom,
If you have a flush tip end of your rear grip and have an inset space in your rod grip you have three choices.

1. Simply take the rear grip, butt it up to the reel seat and glue it in place.

2. Put the rear grip on a lathe, and cut a tenon into the current grip so that it is a perfect stable fit on the inside of the grip.

3. Take another piece of material, arbor, cork ring or similar, turn it to size and sand it to the thickness of the reel seat inset and when gluing the rear grip in place glue the insert, the rear grip and reel seat all together at the same time. This will fill the space at the back of the reel seat. But, if the insert is not glued to the rear grip first, it doesn't help to center the grip on the rod.

You are right, it is nice to have the tneon turned in to the grip to help center the grip with respect to the reel seat. Then, even if you happen to over ream the grip a bit before gluing, you will still have a perfectly centered rear grip.

One thing that helps a great deal - using unmodified grips is to ream very very carefully, to insure that your grip center hole stays centered, and that the center hole does not get overreamed to insure a nice fit on the rod blank. Another thing that helps is to insure that the tip end of the rear grip is finished off at exactly 90 degrees to give a perfect fit on the rear grip - reel seat interface.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 01:56PM

If you over ream and they are a little loose, about 1/2' from the end of them you can make an arbor to keep them centered with several turns of 1/4' tape.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 01:56PM

If you over ream and they are a little loose, about 1/2' from the end of them you can make an arbor to keep them centered with several turns of 1/4' tape.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 04:52PM

All of my rods have uplocking reel seats recessed into the back of the grip. I like the neat, finished appearance. I don't have a lathe, so I use a Dremel-like tool with a 1/2 in. sanding drum-bit to gradually and carefully open up an inlet of the proper dia at the butt of the grip. I also like to use reel seats the have a flange, or collar that sits against this inlet opening and covers any slight imperfections after seating and gluing. Go slow, check fit frequently, and don't sneeze.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster