I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: How much more do we pay for name brand blanks?
Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-207-158.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 12:38PM

Jim,

Again thanks for the info. I think you can tell who's blanks I use almost exclusively. Their freshwater blanks, all two models, cover a lot of ground, but some folks want/need more specialized tools.

I mention the shipping because one of the other, smaller, sponsors that I regularly frequent charges about half. One would think a larger company would be able to distribute that cost along a wider base and more easily absorb it, but I digress.

I've looked into the REC guides for spinning and casting, but really feel they're suited for fly rods. The humming may or may not repel customers, but there's just not a lot covered in the line. I don't mind the hum, as I grew up at a time when most folks had one do it all rod and the only choices for spin/cast were fiberglass, wire guides, and small, medium, or large. But, I'm getting up in the years and aesthetics is also much more important today. There's also nothing there for heavier rods. Reel seats are no problem, as I'm pretty handy churning them out myself. A chunk of wood and another of aluminum and wallah. REC, if your reading this, you've got supporters here who need more in the guide department. Perfection is yours now, so you're the only U.S. manufacturer with a foot in the door.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.176.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2010 04:18PM

Whether or not we accept the fact we live in a world over-run with parity products; products without significant differences except for advertising claims and price. This fact compels advertisers of everything from detergent to fish poles to claim when you purchase their product you are buying authenticity, status, respect, experience, credibility, expertise, envy - in short, everything except a measurably superior product. It's easy to tell when an advertisement is humping a parity product, for such an ad will provide no verifyable, objective data. Instead, the ad will promise warm feelings and reassuring emotions.
Are you paying too much for name brand blanks and rods? No, not if you are in need of warm feelings and reassuring emotions.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: March 07, 2010 07:01PM

Mr. McNamara specifically stated that Mudhole was the MANUFACTURER of the MHX blanks. Having a product built to your specs makes it your product but does not make you the manufacturer. Until I learn otherwise I will take his word that Mudhole is actually making these blanks themselves on their own machinery and by their own employees.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 07:47PM

Excellent thread...and I'll pass on the kool-aid.

Posted by: Chris Cattell (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 11:50AM

I guess that I have asked myself that question many times. I made a rod for my wife for an Alaska trip. I bulit her a G. Loomis 1021C, GL3. She noticed the difference between this rod and the other rods that she has used. Her noticing, made the difference for me. Yes, the G. Loomis blanks are cost prohibitive for many appication, yet I build the almost exclusively simply because they "feel" better to me. I havent found that same feel in any other rod blank. I am crushed that they have stopped selling rod blanks to us, the custom rod builder.

Christian D. Cattell

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 06:23PM

Like Chris, I have a personal preference in blanks, except my preference is for St. Croix. I know their lineup, I'm happy with their quality, and I can live with the price. My clients are equally pleased. They know they are getting a top-quality blank that is US made (that DOES matter to some people!). If I am happy and my clients are happy, why should I change to a lower price imported blank? There's no reason to. That being said, I do have clients who are more budget minded and I am happy to recommend some of the more affordable blanks such as MHX and the Inshore Series from Mudhole. I don't yet have much experience with Batson blanks, but that will come in time and I'm sure I'll be happy to recommend them to clients as a more affordable option as well.

jeremy

Date: March 09, 2010 09:15PM

Jeremy Wagner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I am happy and my clients are happy, why should I change to a lower price imported blank?

Did anyone suggest you switch Jeremy?

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 09:53AM

Everybody and their brother has become a blank designer. If you say that you want more power or a softer tip that is enough to make you a blank designer. I wonder what people like Gary Loomis or Jason Bruner at Croix are? They must be at another level of designer?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 10:02AM

Paul,

Sorry if my response confused you. No one asked me to switch. My apologies.

jeremy

Date: March 10, 2010 07:39PM

Jeremy...

Oh no problem, no apologies needed sir. I was just curious thats all! But thanks for the clarification-your a gent!

Have a great day!
Paul

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster