I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed blank casting seats
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 07:00PM

Do folks who use exposed blank casting seats do so to enhance feel? I know they are a schoosh lighter in weight than a full seat with a foam arbor which may enhance the rods feel, but has anyone ever actually felt a fish bite with their finger on the blank beneath the seat?

Not really a question that matters much but over this winter I've spent to much time thinking about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed blank casting seats
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 07:34PM

In my opppinion Absolutly!!
although I'm not sure they are lighter.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 07:36PM

Neil; I don't think it is as much feeling the bite as it is comfort . I have thought about it a lot also. I use a bunch of them. The Bass Tournament fishermen I build for love the FUJI ACS seat. They all palm the reel and they say the ACS keeps their middle finger and their ring finger from bunching up against each other because of the 2 finger grooves. They say the ACS is a lot more comfortable and they feel they have better control of the rod while palming the reel. And I agree with them, I like them also for the same reasons.
I think if the rod is built correctly, you will feel the light bites/tics even without an exposed blank seat. Of course that's just my opinion. I am sure there are a lot of fishermen that would disagree with me.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 12:16PM

I'm with Steve, absolutely any fingers on the rod blank itself is a PLUS.

Most bass style reel seats weigh about 1 ounce, give or take with brands and sizes. First time I put a seat on a scale I was shocked at how heavy they really are. Many seats weigh nearly as much as the rod you're installing it upon. If you want less weight, and way more feel, split a casting seat like the Castaway model. Comfort can be argued once split, but unless the blank has a very small diameter, I just dont see much, if any, comfort loss (just my opinion), but I do see much better feel.

DR

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 01:17PM

I like direct contact with the blank.

But I can also say that I prefer the reduced size of an exposed blank seat vs its non-exposed relative. I palm my reels...even Muskie reels...and an exposed blank seat, whether you get more sensitivity from it or not, just feels better in my hand.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 03:52PM

I agree with Jay and Matt.
I think that the shape of the exposed grip reel seat and the reduced diameter in the area of the fingers make this style reel seat much more comfortable to fish.

Whether, there is a different feel with an exposed grip or not - that is up to the particular user of the reel seat.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 06:30PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still debating with myself though. I can't say I've ever felt anything with that finger contact. Perhaps I have / do and am not aware of it - I feel a fish 'throughout' the rod and set the hook. I just can't convince myself that I'm feeling it there where my finger is wrapped beneath a reel. Not implying that I don't like exposed blank seats (all I have used is Castaway seats for the last few rods). I like their looks and feel in the hand. But perhaps these river fish I chase just aren't very subtle biters.

I have been discussing this with myself all winter (been a long one). Sure appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2010 09:24PM

Neil,
I couldn't agree more.
I think that the entire ides of "sensitivity" with respect to exposed compared to non exposed reel seats is way over rated. Is there a difference in feel? Maybe?
Is it subjective - you bet.
Then, you bring in things like modulus of rigidity, how stiff the reel seat is, how stiff the reel seat arbors are, do you get a reflection effect from a particular reel seat, does one type handle material convey vibrations better, does one type material reflect vibrations better - do any materials amplify vibrations better????????????

You tell me.

Build your rods light. Build your rods so that they are comfortable to fish with. Build your rods so that your hands are comfortable all day long for a good day of fishing, and I suspect that you will put many many many fish in your locker or catch and release a bunch.

I think that to a degree- all of the questions about the subjective answers of feel, sensitivity, reflection, dampening - all have a real world hard physical answer. But just because you can get a real world scientifically proven answer to these questions - does the answer make a rod that is more comfortable to the fisherman and its use result in more fish in the boat.

I think that many folks simply ask the wrong question.
I really don't care about the word sensitivity, I really don't care about the word weight - necessarily.

I do, however care about the word comfort, effort, ergonomics - with respect to hand and arm position.
And most of all I do care about the word - NUMBERS. i.e. numbers of fish caught and landed in the course of a good days fishing.

Make the customer a rod that he finds very comfortable to fish for hours on end, give the customer a rod that is ergonomically pleasing to his hand and arm joints, and finally, give a client a rod that puts lots and lots of landed fish in his hands, and you are going to have a wonderfully happy customer who will spread your rods excellent performance to all of his friends and associates. Thus, your business will continue to grow.

--------
Having said that - it is up to you as a rod builder to take the myriad of items, blank, arbors, reel seat, handle materials, balance, weight, guide selection, assembly and final appearance, to generate the rod to meet your clients expectations and continue to grow your business.

If you want to use the word comfort - and find that is a good selling point - go for it and capitalize on it.
If you want to use the word sensitive - and have a way to measure and separate it from other variables - go for it and use it to grow your business.

And so it goes for all of the other items that make a wonderful custom rod that will keep the client coming back for more, along with all of his friends and associates in tow.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 10:48AM

I think the ability to have a finger on the blank was more important before braided lines became so common.
Any seat which is well attached will no doubt transmit the slightest tap when using any modern braided line.

I put more emphasis on balance and feel than I do overall weight, even a light rod that don't balance well can become a chore to hold all day long.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster