I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Colored EVA
Posted by: Larry D. Wilson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:01AM

Does anyone have experience with the colored EVA and it's durablity, appearance over time? Will does it fade badly?
I am considering using red on a St. Croix 5S70, but I don't want it to look like crap after a while of use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colored EVA
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 11:34AM

Larry,
What happens to handles when they get used? They get dirty. Yes, they can be washed, but the advantage of using black eva for grips is that it is the same color as the dirt that gets on them and thus shows little dirt.
Virtually colors are going to fade as well. It is a matter of degrees. If grips are kept out of the sun and weather, the fading will be minimal and will look great after many years.

Conversely, if colored grips are left out in the sun and weather for years at a time - fading and weather related wear will occur. It is really up to the user to decide if the amount of fading - is a problem or not. Many folks keep rods out of the sun and weather when not being used and thus colored grips should look excellent for years. Conversely, some rods are built - put in the sun and never taken out of the sun or weather. Obviously these rods are going to show weather related aging effects sooner than those rods which are stored out of the sun and especially if they are not used.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 03:42PM

In other words, under normal use and care the colored EVA will not fade. That's been my experience anyway.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 04:24PM

I have been using colored grips for many years and most of my rods are made with color grips and many with a multiple of different colors. It all depends on the source of the grips because I have found that some will fade more then others over a period of time. Also some colors are more likely to fade in time because of exposure to the sun. A good washing after fishing is important and a mild soap such as Joy is what I use and I find it keeps the grips looking like new. Old custom grip 2 which was a favorite of mine did show a problem with the color red after a few years in the sun but the some newer sorces of colored grips seem to be holding up better.

My advise to you is don't let the worry of a little fading deter you from using colors, just go for it.

Posted by: De Dang (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 04:54PM

In my limitted experience, only the orange color is faded after awhile. The yellow, red, purple, green, blue are very stable.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 04, 2010 09:44AM

I've found that even when they fade, that the true color is still a few mm below and simply sanding the grip will restore the color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster