I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weird Static Guide Placement results
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 06:18PM

So I'm still working on my 6' ultralight spinning rod. In the course of using the Static Guide Placement method, along with the New Guide Concept, I ended up putting 8 guides on the rod in order to get the line to follow the blank's curve under load. There was more moving of guides than I expected. Also, in one area, the distance between guides shrank. The first guide from the tip is 4" back, next is 4 and 1/8", followed by two that are 5" back from each other. So far, as expected; however, the next guide then came 4 and 1/2" further down, which struck me as odd. The first butt guide then comes 6 and 1/2" further down, and lastly, the final butt guide is 11" from that. Because the tiptop is SiC, and the next 4 guides are fly guides, followed by 3 more SiC guides, the rod actually feels as light as my 5' GL3 factory ultralight even with the extra length and guides. So the rod looks a little funny, but it seems to be functional.

Is this a normal thing when using the static guide placement? Is it acceptable? Or should I try to find a guide placement that is more conventional?

Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weird Static Guide Placement results
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2010 06:58PM

How are you doing the static testing? Are you loading the line which you have strung through the guides? Or simply loading the tip of the rod and allowing the rod to take its natural and preferred flex?

Date: March 02, 2010 07:10PM

I had the rod loaded from the tip with a little baggy of quarters for weight, it hung from a section of line and a hook attached to the tip. Then I ran the line I wanted to use through the guides, with a little weight on the end to keep the line taut, but not a lot of weight.

Posted by: Robert Elam (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 07:33PM

Ken Tong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the rod loaded from the tip with a little
> baggy of quarters for weight, it hung from a
> section of line and a hook attached to the tip.
> Then I ran the line I wanted to use through the
> guides, with a little weight on the end to keep
> the line taut, but not a lot of weight.
We might not be able to help you as most of us only have bags of pennies. ;-)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:04PM

Ken,
It sounds like you are about right except for the lower guides as you pointed out.
I might just suggest that you go with your 4, 4& 1/18th and 5 inch spacing for the first three guides.

Then, try a 6, 7, and 9 inch spacing for a total of 6 guides. ( Or possibly 6, 8, 11 inches - if you need the butt guide closer to the handle.

Just tape on the last three in these locations and see how they work out. For most of my spinning guides, I generally have the first or butt guide at about 20 inches from the face of the reel.

I would be suprised if you really need more than 6 guides for a rod of this length.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:40PM

Okay, you're on the right track. I suspect you'll need 7 or 8 guides plus a tiptop to do this. Now here's something you can try - going with the NGC article on the library page here, try equi-distant spacing for all the guides beyond the choker guide. Just take that space and divvy it up between what I suspect will be about 5 guides. Try it and see what you think.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 08:56AM

I just finished one 6 foot ultralite and had 8 guides on it. The first guide is at 3 inchs next 4 then 4 1/2 then 5 and so on it loads great and is a blast to fish with on opening day trout fishing March 1 here in Missouri. Done anothe blank 6 foot used the Morton chart it came out with 11 guides did not like it like the 8 guided rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:03AM

march 1, Gee here in jersey we got to wait till April 15 And it is usually still cold as a bandit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: March 03, 2010 04:53PM

The cold is only subjective to amount of fish caught, or not caught.

I trust the static guide placement, even if it does throw in some odd spacing, I make sure the rod looks good when loaded from the tip with the line held taught with just a little bit of weight. They fish well and I have not had any problems with mine that come outwith odd spacing. It's like I explain to the guys I build ice rods for, the guides don't look right at this moment, but when you get a fish on, it handles the line the way it should.

Date: March 04, 2010 03:17AM

The 5" spacing was what I started out with...once the rod was under load, I moved the guides...and that was what I ended up with...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster