I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filling in a gap?
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:54PM

I have a small gap, about 1/64" between my back of baitcaster reel seat and rear cork grip. What do you suggest
I fill with or fix the gap? They are both same diameter. Reel seat is black.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filling in a gap?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 02:13PM

If it is glued on you could put a piece of tape on the seat and fill. If not glued try block sand it to fit correctly.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 03:00PM

Just thinking out loud....
You could fill most of the void with 5 min epoxy (depending on how deep it is). Then put a small trim wrap of black or silver thread. Apply finish over that.
Something else thst you could try would be to fill it with some tinted epoxy finish (get the tint from Sherwin Williams, or savenge it out of a bottle of Testor's model paint.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 02, 2010 06:30PM

Dave
I had the same problem awhile back & I used a colored "O" ring to fill the gap .The reason for the color was because the grip was colored also

Hope this helps

Baz

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:06PM

Dave,
Has the grip been glued in place?

If it were my rod, I would likely cut off the rear grip, if it had been glued in place, and glue on a new handle that was sized and placed correctly.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 08:07PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: March 03, 2010 08:54AM

everything is glued in place. How would you place an O ring in the gap???
Dave

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:15AM

Is the gap all the way around handle, and does it appear to be a consistent depth? If so, filling it with black or contrasting thread topped with epoxy rod finish would be easy and should either blend in, or with a contrasting color look like you planned it that way!

The o-ring idea sounds interesting also if you can stretch an o-ring over your handle to reach the right area. You'd probably want to sand or file a small amount of cork away so that the o-ring can be seated flush.

Dan

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 03, 2010 07:11PM

G'Day Dave

Dan's correct in stretching the "O"ring .You can stretch them a great deal before they will break ,the trick i found was to roll them rather than slide . I also cut a small groove in the rear of the grip to match the front & they didn't look out of place

hope this helps

Baz

Posted by: Dave Fowler (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2010 09:52PM

I ran into this problem a few years ago when building a fly rod. After everything had dried, I noticed a gap between the reel seat and the grip. I ended up buying a cheap silver chain in a jewelry department at a large big box store. I cut a length of chain equal to the circumference of the gap and epoxied it in place, after first filling in the gap with some thread. Depending on the type of chain link, it may be hard to connect the ends. If that's the case, you can use thin mono (like 6x tippet material) and tie the ends together. It can add a classy touch to the rod without being too gaudy.

Dave Fowler

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster