I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Excess 5 min epoxy on reel seat
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:50PM

I need help. I have a fuji exposed blank baitcasting reel seat and there is some excess devcon 5 min epoxy on the
blank on the exposed underside of the reel seat. it is dried and hard. What is the best way to remove the epoxy without
blemishing the seat and the blank? Any help or ideas is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Excess 5 min epoxy on reel seat
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 02:37PM

Dave,
It is easy.
Take a heat gun and heat up the excess epoxy. The heat will soften the epoxy sufficiently to easily remove it. Just don't overdo the heat. Then use a flat stick with no sharp edges to scrape off the epoxy. Finish off with a solvent to clean up the residue.

Take care

Roger

p.s.
This is a good reason, that when one glues up a reel seat, that the work is checked about every ten minutes as the glue is setting up. If any glue gets out of the glue joint, wipe it off before it can harden.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:05PM

Roger,
How to apply the heat? Use a hairdryer or an actual heat gun??? How Hot???
Thanks,
Dave

Date: March 02, 2010 04:06PM

Dave,
Just to a bit of practice on a piece of scrap blank - where you have applied some 5 minute epoxy and let it dry.
Use a heat gun. Heat the epoxy until it softens enough to remove. Just keep testing with the scraping stick, until it softens enough to make it removable.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2010 05:04PM

I always get nervous when I see people advocating using a heat gun around a rod blank. Once you push past about 225F you start to run the risk of damaging the rod blank and most heat guns are more than capable of taking a rod blank into that realm.

You can do it, but just be very careful about getting the blank too hot.

Date: March 02, 2010 08:09PM

Tom,
I couldn't agree more - with the caution on overheating. That is the reason, that I suggested that the user get some experience on a piece of scrap blank and cured epoxy to get a good feel for - and experience in executing the procedure.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:54PM

Dave, do what Roger advises. A little bit of heat will usually do the trick. The epoxy that you want to remove is not going to get any harder to remove if you wait a week or a month while you practice on a scrap piece of blank. I had a friend of mine do the same thing to a rod and it only took a little bit of heat and a finger nail to get it off with no ill effects on the blank. I have a heat gun that has an adjustable heat setting, and I got it at a True Value hardware store for like 20 bucks.

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 05:53AM

I had some dried RodBond on my rodblank... I was told to use a blowdryer on it...well, I don't own a blow dryer...so I ran some water through the coffee maker, took a rag and dipped it in the hot water and applied it to the RodBond....waited a minute or two..used a credit card (low interest )..to gently scraped the RodBond..and it came off.....no damage to the blank..no scratches !!

MaryLou~~

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 07:49AM

Marylou,

That is a great way of loosening the Rod Bond. Thanks for the tip.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 03, 2010 08:58AM

Thanks! These are all great ideas. I have a heat gun.
I will practice first on a bad blank. This helps alot.
Dave

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 06:53PM

MaryLou VandeRiet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had some dried RodBond on my rodblank... I was
> told to use a blowdryer on it...well, I don't own
> a blow dryer...so I ran some water through the
> coffee maker, took a rag and dipped it in the hot
> water and applied it to the RodBond....waited a
> minute or two..used a credit card (low interest
> )..to gently scraped the RodBond..and it came
> off.....no damage to the blank..no scratches !!
>
>
>
> MaryLou~~

My Pleasure Bill~~~

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster