I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I mix Threadmaster and Threadmaster Lite?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 12:58PM

Awhile back my bottle of Lite hardener leaked out somehow and I'm wondering if I can use regular Threadmaster hardner with Threadmaster Lite resin for something in between the two? I would think they should be compatible but thought I better see if anyone had tried it before? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I mix Threadmaster and Threadmaster Lite?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:38PM

Ask Scott at Fishsticks to just sell you a new hardener only. It may work, but the risk.......well....is probably not worth the cost of 3 new kits!

DR

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: March 02, 2010 01:41PM

Tim, My suggestion would be to try it on a test stick and let it sit for a couple of days. There should be no problem. The hardeners in both formulas are almost identical. Let me know how it works out.
Scott Parsons
RodDancer Custom Fishing Rod Enhancements
www.roddancer.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 04:08PM

Tim,
You can mix anything you like, including drinks - shaken - not stirred.

But if you mix something that is not necessarily recommeded by the manufacturer, be sure to test the mixed results on something about which you don't care.

Let things cure the normal amount of time - for that particular product and see if you like the results.

Remember, you may have a different mixing technique than anyone giving advice, to it is always best to test things on scrap pieces before you apply something to a work in progress.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 04:27PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> But if you mix something that is not necessarily
> recommeded by the manufacturer, be sure to test
> the mixed results on something about which you
> don't care.
>
> Let things cure the normal amount of time - for
> that particular product and see if you like the
> results.

Thats what the manufacturer/producer just told him to do.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 04:54PM

Uhhh.....I do not think so. Only the people from Trondak make their own epoxy products. I think others are just rebottling, reselling products they get from an epoxy manufacturer. Scott may know its okay but I do not think he is the actual manufacturer.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 10:23PM

Tim, on several occasions I have found myself low on finish and I have mixed lite with regular TM. I put equal amounts of lite ( hardener & resin) into my reg bottles of TM. I was very observant and careful when I mixed it up and put it on a rod. It was a rod for me. It worked just fine. Took longer than pure regular TM and less time than than pure Lite TM to cure. Came out clear and fine. I would not hesitate to do it again if I were in a bind. I have since tried some Diamond 11 and I very much like the results I have gotten with it .

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 02:45PM

Thanks guys, well yesterday I set two nearly empty bottles of hardner next to the furnace and eventually drained the smaller one into the larger one to get 1.5 cc's which I was able to mix and get perfect results - I'll just get a new set whenever I make my next rod order and pitch my old mismatched stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster