I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tuna Blank Selection
Posted by: Santiago Perez (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 03:19AM

I’m looking for blank to match a 50W trolling reel. It will be use mainly for tuna fishing ( trolling). I like Calstar or Siker blanks. Any suggestions about blank and rolls?
Tanks.
Santiago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna Blank Selection
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 07:11AM

Super Seeker SS-CTSF 55XH, or 60XH - depending on the length (55 = 5'6, 60 = 6'). These are rated 50-80# and have a fast action with an amazing amount of pulling power. IF you want a more moderate action blank, the SS-CTS 55XH will fit the bill (no SS-CTS 60XH...yet)

If you want to go with Seeker Black Steels, you can drop teh SS off the front of the model number, and go with the CTSF 55XH, 60XH, or CTS 55XH and 60XH. The black steels are a little bit softer in the tip and slightly heavier in weight since they are made wiht E glass as opposed to S glass, and a different type of graphite. YOu can't go wrong with any of these.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.96.85.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:06AM

Calstar 655XH and 655XXH have been good to me so far. I also built a TSF55XXH 50-130# and it has a nice fast action, but serious pulling power if you are into larger tuna. The 655XH is my 30N setup, great for schoolie YFT, the TSF55XXH is for the larger tuna/larger lures. 655XXH will also handle some big fish and sharks w/o a problem as well. THe 655XH and XXH are slower action blanks, the TSF55XXH is a faster action.

Videos of the flex of the rods:

TSF5XXH:
[www.youtube.com]

Calstar 655XH:
[www.youtube.com]

I originally did up the 655XH for my 50W, the smaller 30 gave me some line clearance issues with the foregrip and blank, so I am redoing the guides on it for this season for a 30N setup with 465 yds of 100# hollowcore and an 80yd topshot of 80# Momoi Diamond.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:10AM

For rollers, your best option is the Winthrop Tool Rollers. They have the express and the excel series. The express series is more price sensitive to compete with Aftco.

Kevin

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 02:46PM

I just laid this one out in my spare time:)

FSU56XXH
Rainshadow Forecast Alps Saltwater Stand Up

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # FSU56XXH 5'6" 1 pc. XX-Hvy Saltwater Stand-Up
Butt Cap: LBC30B #30 Large Butt Cap
Gimbal: AXG27-B New design Alum gimbal-Black-ALPS
Rear Grip: Slick 10 Molded Butt 10"-Black w/TR
Reel Seat: ETAHD24M-B Easy Tight HVY Duty Alum Machined R/S 24 - Black
Fore Grip: BSF14-625/750 14" Foregrip Rear OD: 1.43" Tapered ID: .625"- .750" EVA-Black
Winding Check: BH11 Hosel .688" I.D.
Tip Top BRXST16.0 Roller Top SS316 Roller 16.0 Tube w/6061 alum frame-Black with sealed Japanese steel bearings
Guides (see below for size and quantity) BRXSG Roller Gde SS316 Roller w/6061 alum frame Low Profile-Black with sealed Japanese steel bearings

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st BRXSG01L 6"
2nd BRXSG02L 12.25"
3rd BRXSG03 19"
4th BRXSG05LW 27"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Santiago Perez (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 07:43PM

Tank you to all of you!!!
I have a lot of homework to do with all of your recommendations.
Tank you again.
Santiago.

Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 12:19PM

One more suggestion, not listed, Its the Calstar 6455XXH which is probably the .30-'06 -equivalent of all blanks in this category. It's glass and therefore forgiving and very durable: especially good for someone over age 40. Been getting the job done for 20 plus years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster