I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow RX8+ with crook in it
Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:03PM

OK, guys I just got in a Rainshadow RX8+S822.5 its a 1/8-1/2 oz rod and it has about a 1/4" crook in it a from the tip to the taper which is about the first 18" of blank when I spin it on my turner it makes about a 1/2" circle. I was thinking no big deal I'll just put the crook up and everything will be ok well this rod has a very prominent spine which will shows it's self on each side of the blank 180 degrees from each other but the bad part is the crook is 90 degrees from the spine. So what do I do build it on the spine with the crook to one side, build it with the crook up or send it back for a exchange?

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow RX8+ with crook in it
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:23PM

The spine makes no difference. But a severe crook near the tip might. I'd call the folks at Batson and ask them about it. They're good people and if there is anything to be concerned with they'll help you get a replacement.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:50PM

Justin,
I have built a number of rods from that blank and have not seen anything like you are describing. Take Tom's suggestion and get in touch with the Batson's. As he says they are great people and I strongly suspect that they will want to replace that blank.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 07:47AM

Send it back.

My last 2 RX8+'s were quite crooked.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 11:25AM

Dear Justin,
The RX8+ series is to be inspected for straight edge. If there is no straight edge to build on they are rejected. Personally I build on the spine rather than the straight edge so if you are not completely satisfied with your RX8+ then by all means send it back for replacement. In the meantime we will inspect our inventory once again for quality assurance. Sorry for the inconvenience Batson is known for top quality blanks. Karry

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:18PM

First Class Sevice all the way right there.........Plus one heck of a blank to fish with........

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 09:55PM

Nothing is more irritating than getting a blank with an obvious flaw that you then have to spend $15 to return.

Posted by: Justin Duhon (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 12:41AM

I forgot who I talked to but they made short work of my problem. I have a new one in the mail and prepaid return papers coming with it. I have never built on a Rainshadow yet or used one but I can tell they are nice blanks and there is no doubt they will still be one of my go to companies for blanks. It's hard to beat the same quality for half the price of other brands and they have a massive line of blanks to choose from.

Thanks for your personal response Mr. Batson, I just want to let you know that I have talked with your staff a couple of times and they are all very helpful especially for a new builder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster