I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

white strugoen fishing on tv
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 11:55AM

sunday morning i was watch tv about white struegon fishing and when the show is over and i trying to look at rod blank to match a white stregoun fishing and what model and how lenght and how heavy will rod able to handle a over 100 to 200 pound white streugon to battle in washington columbia river ? but there is some of streugon in wisconsin river and will like to look at rod blank if u know the models but no experince on struegon rod blanks..
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: white strugoen fishing on tv
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 12:43PM

Josh,
The sturgeon in the Columbia River get a lot larger than 100 to 200 pounds. I have hooked numerous ones that weighed 600 or 700 or 800 pounds. Never landed any that big though. I have seen pictures of sturgeon that were 15 and 16 feet long.
The tackle used is a function of how you are fishing for them. Much of the fishing is done from a boat and heavy short rods are used. Rods that are like the ones used for fishing the larger salt water species. Some fishing is also done from the bank and this takle is completely different. Rods are often 13 or 14 or 15 feet long due to the distance that is cast.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:34PM

My Sturgeon boat rod is made with a 7' 20 - 50Lb composit Lamiglas blank. Have caught many going over the size you indicated. Of course these are much too large to bring into the boat. Probably would injure this beautiful fish and if you did get one of those Hogs in the boat, very soon your tackle boxes and gear would most likely be in the river. I once hooked one that jumped in my shed forward the windshield. It flopped around before before getting back in the river. I finally got it in to release it. It was about 8', but that is another story.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 04:55PM

I need to hear that story Kerry, tell me about it in April!. I can hardly get a lawn mower in my shed, mush less a sturgeon, but maybe yours is closer to the river than mine!!!!!

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 08:32PM

OOps, Sled as in Jet Sled, LOL, thanks for the heads up Grant, probably had some scratching their head. My shed is full too.
Kerry

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 11:06AM

Emory hit the nail on the head the correct rod for the job depends on how you plan to fish them. I like to fish for 30-100# sturgeon from the boat and the SWS597 does the job for me. This is a spiral wrap configuration.

Rod Blank Model # SWS597 SPIRAL WRAP
Butt cap: EVABC20 WILL NEED TO REAM TO FIT
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: WHGRY-12 TAPE ARBOR USE WITH WBEC TO TRIM SEAT
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: TRI-AH20M-S
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG500A-1.30-.4375
Winding Check: BWC15
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XPPZT08R06.0
1st guide from tip top XXNZG08
2nd guide from tip top XXNZG08
3rd guide from tip top XXNZG08
4th guide from tip top XXNZG08
5th guide from tip top: XXNZG08
6th guide from tip top: XXNZG08
7th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
8th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XXNZG10
10th guide from tip top: XXNZG12
11th guide from tip top: XXNZG16

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3-6.25-9.75-13.5-18.5-24.25-30.125-36.375-42.625-49.75-57.5

If you are interested in boat fishing for over size then I would go with at least this set up for starters and make sure you have a reel with tons of line capacity because your going to need it.

Rod Blank Model # RCLB70M
Butt cap: AXG25-TC
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: BST10A12
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH22M-LT Threads down when mounting
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BF10A12
Winding Check: BH11 or 14
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XTCPPZT10R07.5
1st guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
2nd guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
3rd guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
4th guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
5th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG12
6th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG16
7th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG20
8th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG25

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12.25-17.25-23.375-30-37-45-

Some folks also like to use stand up blanks for Over size but I prefer a bit longer rod personally.

Rod Blank Model # FSU56H
Butt cap: AXG27-S
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: SLICK10
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: ETAHD22-S
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BF16A0810
Winding Check: BH11
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XPPZT10R11.0
1st guide from tip top XXNZG10
2nd guide from tip top XXNZG10
3rd guide from tip top XXNZG12
4th guide from tip top XXNZG16
5th guide from tip top: XXNZG20
6th guide from tip top: XXNZG25

As far as bank fishing for them longer rod the better so you can make that long cast. I'm no pro on this technique but this rod would be my first suggestion.

Rod Blank Model # SUR1505
Butt cap: SSCAP138 with BS06a12 IN FRONT WITH BH14 hossel
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: BST06a12 behind seat and BH14 hossel
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH24M-LT
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BST06a12
Winding Check: BH12 Hossel
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XTCPPZT10R10.5
1st guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
2nd guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
3rd guide from tip top XTCXNZG12
4th guide from tip top XTCXNZG16
5th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG20
6th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG25
7th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG30

16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 5.5-11.5-19.25-29.125-43.125-58.5-81.25

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Drew Smith (---.broadband.gorge.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 08:42PM

I'm not far off from Karry. For 10-50 lb fish I use a Rainshadow SWS65MH-M (a little lighter than what Karry suggests) coupled with a Stuart tuff-butt. For my guest rod, it is the same blank, but with cork, and the tuff-butt rod is way more sensitive hands-down. At least that is what my buddies say after I hand my rod off to them. The live bait series have a great soft tip for seeing the bite, works well for catfish also.

For oversize, I go a bit heavier than Karry suggests. My go-to is a Lami BE5601B-GB (not sure if it is still in production). It is a 5'6" 100lb class rod. Use for 100lb + fish that bite hard only. No tip movement on this one. It is short and stout, which gives you leverage. I can land a 300lb fish in 15 min with this one (100 lb line with drag at 60lb), and I am not that big of a guy.

Whatever you do, use a spiral wrap.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:17AM

Emory Harry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some fishing is also done
> from the bank and this takle is completely
> different. Rods are often 13 or 14 or 15 feet
> long due to the distance that is cast.

The Oio Special was intended to be used for long distance casting for small game (about 40#). I was told it was being used for sturgeon in the North-West. The blank used is the Lamiglas GSB 180 2MH. (15')

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster