I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Relative viscosity of rod finishes
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 08:04AM

I have used LS Supreme for a while now and usually get pretty good (not perfect) results. I usually use 2-3 coats. I am wondering if a slightly thinner finish might be more foolproof for me. I have tried Permagloss and it is easy to apply, but I don't like the need for 8-9 coats. I don't know how viscosity compares across brands.

I would love to see a list of all the finishes available listed from thickest to thinnest. My dream list would include all the Flex coat products, Trondak products, Threadmaster, Diamond, Gudebrod, and any others folks use.

I think such a list would be a good resource for us amateurs who don't build enough rods to have tried all the different products.

I do understand that such a list would not be a ranking of products, as it would not reflect all the characteristics that one looks for in a finish, just the viscosity.

I did a search on this site and could not find quite what I was looking for, and I have subscribed to Rodmaker since its second year and don't remember seeing such a list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Relative viscosity of rod finishes
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 01:27PM

Bob,
If you want to use a particulr product, simply go to the vendor and ask for a list of characteristics in a sales brochure. They will be happy to supply it and generally will give you the information that you need.

Most vendors have thin and thick finishes. If you use a thin finish, you normally need 2-4 coats for excellent results.

If you use a thick finish, you normally need 1-2 coats for excellent results.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 01:49PM

Bob,

It is interesting that you mention this. I will be testing 5 epoxy products next week. Your expressed request is actually on my list for testing. How about I personally deliver you the results—how would that be? And yes, I do think a list of various comparisons would be handy, this is one of the things I am working on. This will not be the type of results you would get from Ralph O'Quinn—obviously! But I felt even a basic comparison in layman’s terms would be helpful to the beginner.

Silvia Davis

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2010 03:35PM

LS Supreme High Build is far and away the thickest viscosity of any of the popular epoxies. The "lites" are at the other extreme end. Everything else falls somewhere in the middle.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 07:58PM

Bob Scacheri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used LS Supreme for a while now and usually
> get pretty good (not perfect) results. I usually
> use 2-3 coats. I am wondering if a slightly
> thinner finish might be more foolproof for me. I
> have tried Permagloss and it is easy to apply, but
> I don't like the need for 8-9 coats. I don't know
> how viscosity compares across brands.
>
> I would love to see a list of all the finishes
> available listed from thickest to thinnest. My
> dream list would include all the Flex coat
> products, Trondak products, Threadmaster, Diamond,
> Gudebrod, and any others folks use.
>
> I think such a list would be a good resource for
> us amateurs who don't build enough rods to have
> tried all the different products.
>
> I do understand that such a list would not be a
> ranking of products, as it would not reflect all
> the characteristics that one looks for in a
> finish, just the viscosity.
>
> I did a search on this site and could not find
> quite what I was looking for, and I have
> subscribed to Rodmaker since its second year and
> don't remember seeing such a list.

I also was using ls supeme fer a while. I have found that f;ex coat light which is just a bit thicker and also less pot life actually is a little more fool proof than tha ls supreme. thats the way it seems to work for me anyhow.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.176.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2010 10:13PM

Epoxy viscosity is very much influenced by ambient temperature and curing speed. I suspect some products may be more temperature sensitive than others, and I know products differ in curing rate. Still, having some objective measurements to guide us is a wonderful idea.

Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2010 07:49PM

I look forward to Ms. Davis analysis. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster