I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick thread color test?
Posted by: Jim Bernard (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 25, 2010 01:21PM

Is there a way to test the effect, i.e., resulting color, of any (non-CP) color nylon thread on a blank, simulating the effect of epoxy finish without actually applying epoxy? I don't have any spare blanks of a similar color and I want to see the resulting color of, say, Gudebrod 340 Gold on a grey, matte blank. Can I do a test wrap on the butt section and maybe brush some alcohol over it to see an approximation of the thread once epoxy is applied? Anybody got a trick?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick thread color test?
Posted by: seth lattrell (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 01:49PM

Jim,
I usually do exactly what you just said, wet the thread with water or alcohol to see how much it will darken when epoxied

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2010 01:58PM

Wrap a trial wrap on the area that will be under the reel seat or handle and apply finish. This will give you exactly what it will look like. You can then cut it off if it is under the handle, or even leave it on and mount the reel seat over it.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 04:49PM

take all your thread and put 1/2-3/4 wraps of each on a wood dowel or a piece of a blank apply CP when needed (Nylon) then apply finish then you will know what each looks like when finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 04:50PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 05:01PM

Jim,
I do it all of the time.
I just put a dozen wraps on the blank you are wrapping, tie it off, and then liberally wet it down with alcohol. Wetting it this way, will very closely simulate the effect of applying and curing finish.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 11:51PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 08:35PM

A wooden dowell does not simulate a dark blank, as it is much lighter the thread will appear brighter than it will on the actual blank.

Posted by: Jim Bernard (64.241.37.---)
Date: February 26, 2010 09:24AM

And the winner is:

I wound 4 strips of various thread colors on the reel seat area of the butt section, mixed a very small amount of finish (since I had no need to let this set up, I wasn't worried about precise proportions in the mix), and applied finish on the color strips. This not only showed me the color effect of each strip on this blank, but it beat the alcohol method in that I could also see the true color with a gloss finish. Wiped the finish off when I made my decision, cut the threads off and wiped the remaining finish off with alcohol. Badda-bing. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster