I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rod Casting Contest
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 07:47PM

Could somebody tell me about the winning spinning rod that was used in the casting contest. Like how was it set up, how many guides used and what kind. You know, all the particulars.
Thanks Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod Casting Contest
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2010 08:34PM

Casting-Braid: Mike Harris 141.65 feet
Casting-Monofiliment: MIke Harris 141.6 feet
Spinning-Braid: No entries
Spinning-Monofiliment: Chris Linville 145.7 feet

The winners can provide detail on their rods.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 08:45PM

Ahhhh.......... Chris - Mr. One Cast - Linville!

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 09:41PM

Chris, Your e-mail is hidden. If you don't mind, I would like to discuss what you did. My e-mail is tmorrell@swbell.net
Thanks, Terry

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:19PM

That's one thing that really made me scratch my head, no spinning braid entries. Tom, please do this again next year... if there is a next year. I agree with the thought that a lot of builders backed out due to all of the talk beforehand, I was one of them! The contest was a great time though.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 25, 2010 08:26AM

Since Chris hasn’t answered I will relate what I can remember. It was built on an American Tackle Matrix blank, it had a conventional spool size reel about 2000-2500 size. It appeared to have a pretty standard NGC guide setup, with a fairly large stripper probably a 30. That is about all I can remember since I was concentrating on my own efforts and not the spinning class. The rod was on display in the showcase during the show, it was the one built on a green Matrix blank with orange and yellow wraps.

Given the conditions we were working with it is not surprising that a spinning rod was the overall distance winner, maybe I will build a spinning rod for next year.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2010 08:55AM

I purposely did not enter the braided spinning class because I knew Mike Pederson (Riley Rods) intended to, and we basically use the same setups, Batson blanks, Micro's, spacing styles and I was casting for a couple of other contestants as well. But he ended up running late and was not able to get there before things were over.
If it happens again next years I will bring one.

Date: February 25, 2010 09:31AM

Now that folks know the range of casting distance involved I think more will feel bold enough to at least step up and give it a go.

I think MIke is correct about Chris's rod - high frame butt and transition guides with small choker and running guides. I'm sure Chris will peek in at some point and fill in the details.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2010 07:52AM

I just want to say thank you to Tom for the show I had a blast also spent all my money. The rod I used for the contest is an American Tackle AMP842 cut to build out at 6'6". The guides are Fuji Alconite, a 8mm tip down the rod to a 30mm, spacing from tip is 4", 5", 7", 9", 10.5", 13.75". The last guide was placed to hide the end of the matrix on the rod. I would like to say that I never thought I would win but in was fun and always good to win. My longest cast at home was 151' and as you can see I didn't come close to that in the contest.
Terry, my email is cliville@triad.rr.com Thanks again to Tom for the contest and show.
Chris Linville

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 09:28AM by Chris E Linville.

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh16rt-07rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 08:29PM

What were the rules and what kind and how much weight were you throwing? What were the length limits.

Date: February 26, 2010 09:00PM

Plus do a search, I've published all that previously, several times. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster