I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX 7'6" ML or SC 7'6" ML?
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 05:20PM

Has anyone built an SJ9000-2-MHX 7'6" blank, and how would you compare it to an 4S76MLF for action and power?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX 7'6" ML or SC 7'6" ML?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 05:27PM

According to Mud Hole, the SJ9000 was designed to mimic the G Loomis IMX HS-9000. That being the case, it isn't ANYTHING like the St Croix blank you mentioned ... the former is a hotshot taper and the latter a spin/jig. For what it is worth, nothing is quite like the HS9000 - it has a very light tip and incredibly strong butt section.

Date: February 24, 2010 05:41PM

We don't "hotshot" around here Jim. Not too many salmon in the Mississippi!

So it sounds like the butt on the MHX blank is probably MUCH stiffer than the butt section on the St. Croix?

The rod I have in mind will be for dragging light jigs and for Carolina rigging live bait.

Thanks.

Dan

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2010 05:54PM

Dan -- The SJ 9000 MHX will be a great blank for what you are wanting to do with it. Due to the blank being called a "Hot Shot" model and folks not knowing what a Hot Shot blank actually was, is the main reason we changed the designation to SJ. For what it's worth, the SJ 9000 MHX is as close to being identical to the HS 9000 as you will ever try to find. The SJ 9000 MHX is a very versatile blank that can be used for multiple fishing applications.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: February 24, 2010 06:16PM

Thanks Bob!

When you have a minute could you pull both SJ9000-2 and the 4S76MLF and compare the action and power for me? This is more of a St Croix part of the country and I'm not that familier with GLoomis' actions.

Thanks.

Dan

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2010 10:58AM

Dan,
are you looking for a 1 pc. or 2 pc. model here?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2010 12:34PM

I've built a several hot shots, and I found hot shot rods to be nothing more than a longer, fast action bass blank, they have more "give" due to the lengths, but are very comparable to many bass blanks. They do VERY well as blanks for guys that like longer smallmouth bass rods that tend to throw lighter lures. Just something in my head......

DR

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2010 01:05PM

Dan - Did not have the 2 pc. 9000 to compare, only the 1 pc. version. Tips are very similar. The mid-section to the butt of the 9000 is just a little more powerful than the St. Croix.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: February 26, 2010 01:55PM

Thanks Bob! I appreciate you taking the time to compare the blanks for me during this busy time of the year, and I'll be ordering the 9000.

DR - I forgot to say that I plan to use this rod for walleyes (therefore the mention of live bait) but the smallies will no doubt make some guest appearances, and now that you mention it I will try targeting SM with this rod. Should be fun!

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster