I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts after attending my first Expo
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 11:29AM

WOW! That's the first thing that comes to mind. WOW!
OK, I can be a bit more specific.

First: now I understand why Batson has such a popular product line. It isn't just the high quality of the components (although that is a good part of it). It's the people. I was looking for a specific fly rod blank for a specific use. One of the folks from Fishsticks walked me down to Karry Batson, introduced me, and I had ALL my questions answered. No sales pitch, no denigrating competitors' products, just honest answers about the pros and cons of particular blanks in their product line. I bought their fly rod blank and three others, along with guides and tip tops. Their dealers are as fabulous as their products.

D2. Silvia, what can I say? You are wonderful, the product is terrific, Karen, Lance and Bill represent you very well and embody what you strive for your business accomplish: Flawless quality sold and serviced with integrity. You have ALL my finish business. Period.

Lance and Bill...6 blanks, guides, rod stands and hot sauce. I love Cajun with my fishing. It was a real pleasure guys.

Cason Crystal Clear: I have been testing your product and was glad to be able to buy it in larger quantities. Let me know how you like that mango thread.

Trondak: Now I know the CORRECT method of mixing Rod Bond. I thank you for the gracious lesson.

REC, if was terrific talking about fishing in my home state and the waters with which I am most familiar. I have your email Paul, and will drop you a note.

St. Croix: It's terrific to be able to talk with a blank designer to get the skinny on a specific blank. Again...terrific folks sharing their knowledge, and the pride in their products comes shining through.

Morris: your free demonstration of wood turning is costing me the price of a 1 hp Delta midi lathe and accessories. Thanks a bunch. :-)

Renzetti: Nice to meet my neighbors from across the river. The products speak for themselves.

Billy...you almost got the leftovers from Karen's dinner from Liberty Steak and Brewery. See you on Facebook, my friend.

Tom: FABULOUS job. Karen and I enjoyed ourselves from the time we booked the hotel months ago, through taking and sending shop photos, making the road trip, and absolutely everything about the ICRBE. We will be there next year. Please keep a lookout in the paper for the pic the reporter took of me speaking with the Dragonmaster.

And a final thought: I have never before had the pleasure of spending 2 1/2 days with such an amazing group of people. Each and every person Karen and I encountered was friendly, helpful, and simply delightful to be around. I have been building rods since 1974. In those 36 years, I can say, without any reservations, that High Point 2010 was the high point of my rod building experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts after attending my first Expo
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.core.ignum.cz)
Date: February 23, 2010 12:19PM

I agree with everything you said. The way the vendors and companies all compete and yet work with each other was great! I only ran across one that wanted to downplay or denigrate other companies products and it was an easy matter for me to just walk about and make sure I do not give them any of my future business.

The wood turning guy was just amazing! All the seminars were great. Even then I found that as much information gets shared in the aisles and at the cafe tables as it does in the seminar rooms. If you wanted to know something all you had to do was ask. Nobody turned down a request for information and many went out of their way to show you how to do something. This event is priceless!

Re: Thoughts after attending my first Expo
Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 06:37PM

Tom,
Thanks on a great show.
My first one. ..but not my last.

Larry
H&H Custom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster