I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel seats. Lightest? best?
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 05:35PM

Just wondering if there are any opinions out there about what are some of the lightest and at the same time best (in fit/ finish and pricing) on the market today? Anywere from say 4wt to 7wt, and then from 7wt up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel seats. Lightest? best?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2010 06:59PM

skeleton graphite hold as well or better than any other i have found. use a light insert or no insert. i use them on all my personal rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 07:06PM

Larry,
Try them all out and deicde for your self.

I have found that over time, there are reel features that are more important than the absolute lightest weight.

Don't discount the importance of weight, but don't discard the purchase of a reel because the weight is different than one with lighter weight but without the features that you want.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 22, 2010 07:35PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry,
> Try them all out and deicde for your self.
>
> I have found that over time, there are reel
> features that are more important than the absolute
> lightest weight.
>
> Don't discount the importance of weight, but don't
> discard the purchase of a reel because the weight
> is different than one with lighter weight but
> without the features that you want.
>
> Take care
> Roger

LOL.. If I try them ALL out I'm very liable to go broke!!! LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 08:51PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Lane Pelissier (---.sip.lft.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 08:26PM

Guy by the name of Mark Shamburg makes some sweet titanium seats that are very light. Three different styles from slip ring to heavy salt water. Not cheap
though.

Lane

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 08:38PM

I would think the Titanium components and cork or make a composite insert.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:52PM

Roger, I haven't found a manufacturer who makes lighter weight fly reels that doesn't have more and better features in their models than another manufacturer's equivalent (heavier) models. That being said, there are only a couple of reel manufacturers that I'll use anymore - and they're not the most expensive out there (but not cheap either).

Larry, although the difference in weight savings of reel seat hardware between different manufacturers is almost minimal (and not that noticable on the rod), I've found that the lightest and most well machined are from REC. Whenever my customers (and I) can spare the added expense, we use REC. I personally cannot stand the look of graphite seats on flyrods. I've yet to meet a flyfisherman in my neck of the woods who likes them either.

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 11:50PM

I agree with John above.

I don't understand why a graphite seat is the best option for spinning rod but not a fly rod.

For me, at least, the most important thing about a reel seat (on any rod) is that it
1) holds the reel well
2) is durable
3) light
4) inexpensive.

How it looks is pretty unimportant.

A fishing rod (yes even a fly rod) is first of all a tool, not a status symbol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 11:51PM by David McDonough.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 12:04AM

But PRETTY also sells

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 12:47AM

"Pretty is unimportant" is an opinion, not a fact! Many fly rod buyers want their rod to look good as well as perform. In fact here in the West there is an identifiable trend toward more creativity in appearance as exampled by the use of exotic woods in both reel seats and grips.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 01:38AM

Phil,
I agree,
Also, when you start talking about using exotic woods in the reel seats and grips, you can pretty well throw out the idea of "light weight".
A typical wood handle is about 3X the weight of a comparable cork handle.
But, I certainly love the look of the exotic wood handle and I haven't found that the use of the heavier wood handle has much effect on the performance of the rod.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 23, 2010 02:05AM

Yea, I gotta say I agree with all of you. I've been noticing the nicest real seats I've been using are ALL made of brass (pretty heavy) and plated very nicely. The aluminum ones seem a great deal lighter, but I just dont like the fit, and finish of the ones I've tried to date. I've been more likely to sacrafice weight for a good look and I was just wondering if theres a greast looking alluminum seat (with wood insert) out there with a top notch look. I can't seem to find one yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 02:08AM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 02:50AM

for many fly types myself included, the look is equally important. notice i said equally. and that is very subjective.

i like the D27 from struble in rosewood for my 3 and 4 wt rods.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: February 23, 2010 04:01AM

I'm with Eric on the Struble D27. It is one of my new favorites, quite elegant.
I use quite a few of the REC ABS seats too, and REC has a substantial line of nice Aluminum seats:

[www.reelseats.com]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 07:48AM

There was a builder at the Expo that had a unique seat. Fuji type graphite parts bonded on a titanium barrell. Really sharp. Should be light and strong and we know how those parts hold a seat so securely! Might be worth your while to look him up. Sammy Mickel from Mickel's Custom Rods. No idea if he has a website but he has posted here in the past. I looked the seats over pretty good and thought it was a lot better looking than the run of the mill graphite reel seat.

Posted by: Jon Christensen (---.sandia.gov)
Date: February 23, 2010 12:24PM

Everyone will have their own opinion on the balance of fit/finish, style, functionality, and pricing. Some reel seats, though fully functional, just don't fit the style and quality I'm looking for on a particular rod. Sometime you're limited by the amount you can spend on a reel seat. For most rods I build, REC seats are my choice. I personally like the ABS/NBS and AUSL/NSUSL seats. So far, when looking for a sliding band seat, the Struble U-27 in my favorite. I prefer uplocking hardware myself.

For most 4wt to 7wt rods I work with, going super-lightweight isn't that much of a concern for me so I go for functionality and aesthetics. If I'm trying to keep weight down I look to use cork for my insert and use aluminum or titanium hardware. More often than not though, I stay with NS hardware. I've thought about looking into wood inserts with very large bores then using graphite/foam arbors to fit to the blank; however, so far I haven't gotten very far down this road, staying with the regular wood and cork inserts. I don't know how significant the weight savings would be ...

Shamburg's titanium seats are nice. I'm looking forward to building with one those some day ...

Date: February 23, 2010 07:35PM

peter that fly rod was mine. it had carbon grips and fighting butt. the reel seat was titanium tubing that extended for the butt. i used minima guides and the blank was a dan craft ft 4pc 6wt. the rod weighs right at 4oz and is very responsive. and yes it has graphite skeletons. it is very modern looking and is a joy to cast.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: February 23, 2010 08:33PM

Hmmm. These seats were in bags, not on a rod.

Date: February 25, 2010 09:04PM

peter you are correct sammy has some very nice titanium tubing reel seats. i had mad my own and had a completed rod and my booth was across the aisle from his booth. i had quite a few people look at this particular rod and liked it. sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster