I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A HEARTFELT "THANK YOU" FROM ANGLERS ENVY
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 08:03AM

To all that came to the booth and visited or supported Angler's Envy, I sincerely thank each and every one of you! To say that I am amazed at the reception by my fellow builders is an understatement! I was rushed to get the seminar started because the table was packed with people. When I got the equipment set up and actually looked up at the audience, I was in awe at the fact that the room was standing room only with no room for those that were still at the door!!!! I am so glad that my fellow builders are as interested in Mother of Pearl as I am!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

If anyone needs more veneer, or you are thinking about doing it on a future build, please email me.

I am in the process of restocking my inventory now as I sold 95% of the veneer that brought to High Point!!!! Also, for those that missed the seminar, I have a detailed DVD on the bending process. Check out the veneer and if there is a color that you want, let me know and I will get it in for you!!!

www.anglersenvy.com/veneer-gallery

Thanks to all again. It was a true pleasure talking to each and every one of you!!

Kevin Knox
Anglers Envy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A HEARTFELT "THANK YOU" FROM ANGLERS ENVY
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 09:03AM

Kevin, I meant to ask you after the seminar, how does the 2nd DVD differ from the first?

Thanks
Tony

Date: February 22, 2010 09:23AM

The second DVD is 100% devoted to the boiling method and it differs in that 1) I got a HD camara so the quality is better, 2) it is 1 hour 20 minutes and spends a lot of time on technique of the hands and fingers and does a lot of closeups on the hands and working with the veneer. In the DVD, I do the bending on a gaff handle which is larger diameter and then on a Jigging rod where I start at the bottom and work all the way to the top guide on a small diameter blank.

So, in a nutshell, I address a lot of the questions that I got since putting out the first video and help people avoid the pitfalls that I have heard about in the last year.

If you have the first one and have been successful with it, keep going. There were many that didn't get into it last year and the DVD is a long one on one session that they took home with them!!!
Kevin

Posted by: Jeff Mahnken (---.supptctr.clemson.edu)
Date: February 22, 2010 09:28AM

Kevin, Thank you for taking time to do the seminar. I learned a lot and you make it look so easy. Armed with what I learned and the veneer I purchased from you I am going to try it again. This was my first attempt, [www.rodbuilding.org] while it looks ok It was a disaster.

Date: February 22, 2010 09:34AM

Jeff,
I wouldn't call it a disaster! It looks great. If you think that looks bad, you should see the first few that I did!! LOL. No pictures of them and they went to the landfill!!!

Stay at it. Time and patience will give you the results that you are looking for!!!!

Kevin

Date: February 22, 2010 09:43AM

Kevin, When I said that I was referring to the hour and a half that I spent removing the first try. talk about a pain. Your are right once you stick it down you are not getting it off plus the fact I was using the heat gun method. It didn't work for me.

Date: February 22, 2010 10:33AM

There is just no scientific reason for that to work. With my method, it works from the inside out AND from the outside in, to soften the veneer and make it pliable.

Stick with it and it becomes easier!!!!

Kevin

Date: February 22, 2010 10:39AM

Thanks again!!!!!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2010 01:22PM

you did a great job and it was great to see you again. i had a blast. i will finally get around to working with the abalone. give me a shout when you head down in may. glad you like the cd
jp

Posted by: Tom St.Blanc (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 06:39PM

Jeff, you rod is beautiful.

Kevin, I wasn't able to be at the show, but is veneer work something a new builder should avoid until one gets more experience?

Tom

Date: February 22, 2010 07:14PM

Thomas,
Simple answer is no! I have a gentleman who has just gotten into building. He did his first rod 3 weeks ago. He emailed me this morning that he left the show Saturday with my DVD and some veneer. Last night, his first veneer inlay was in place and drying. He told me that following my instructions on the DVD was easy and successful.

I go through everything from the very beginning to the very end of the process. Including applying Finish.

If you want to get a feel for my instruction, go to YOUTUBE and do a search for anglersenvy and you can see some of my instructional video's.

Kevin

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:06PM

Kevin, My daughter has here eyes on the Purple sheet I brought home. Had to hide it. As always was a pleasure to sit in on your seminar and shoot a little bull with you.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:31AM

Thanks for being at the Expo! Those videos are great Also found another use for one of the sheets of Veneer I picked up

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 10:32AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 10:31AM

Thanks for being at the Expo! Those videos are great Also found another use for a sheet of Veneer

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster