I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

.1 inch elastic binders for guide ties
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 09:01PM

I have been building a lot of ice rods recently with some very very fine tips.
I have also been using some very small guides with very short feet on the rods.
As a result, it has been a bit tedious to get the guides held in place while wrapping the guides.

Based on some feedback that I have received from this forum, I decided to try using elastic bands to hold the guides to the rod.

Great - not looking back.

I came across a source for some very inexpensive elastic bands that have in id of .1 inch.
This is the perfect size for the tips of these fine tipped ice rods. (The tips use a 2.5/64th size).

I put a group of bands on the rods, necessary to hold the guides. Slip the appropriate guide foot under the binder. Then, moved up, down , or around the rod to align it and then wrap as needed.

This is really only necessary for the first or the first couple of tip guides when working with this feather thin tips. However, a great time saver and is working much much better than any other method that I have ever tried, including tape, glue, tie wraps or any thing else.

One of the biggest advantages is that the width of the binders is about .06 inches so that very little of the guide foot is covered by the tiny binder and thus makes it trivial to wrap the guides as needed.

Just do an internet search for such binders and go for it.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: .1 inch elastic binders for guide ties
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 10:12PM

Sewing supply stores sell elastic thread which works quite well for holding guides in place for wrapping. One or two turns of the stretched thread around the blank and guidefoot, a quick square knot, and away you go. One or two turns of thread take up vey little of the guidefoot, and when you have wrapped far enough the foot to secure the guide just touch the elastic thread with a razor and the thread literally jumps out of the way. Best of all, the thread is easily available, and cheap.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 12:45AM

Can you help me narrow the search parameters?

Posted by: Hillrie Rouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 06:10AM

Rodger--------Why not just tell us where u got em, rather than make us search?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 06:39AM

I use surgical rubber tubing you can get them from 32nd of an inch to 1 inch. I get mine from a fish sporting goods shop, We use the tubbing for holding on pencil drift lead. or go to a medical supply house, even Wal Mart in the NW carries a large supply. The tubbing is sold by the foot. Selling price is like 20 cents a foot. If you find that the the band is to loose near the tip just double warp it around the tip. I cut small bands from the tubbing

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 08:59AM

Hillrie,
Here is the site from which, I purchased the various sizes of elastic bands:

[www.auctiva.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:39AM

That's what I thought. I got some from my dentist and they work perfect for tiny guides on bass rods on the upper half of the blank.!

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 01:12PM

I use the same thing. I get them from my local Fleet Farm / Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply (TSC) in the equine/horse section. They are just thin rubber bands. I take the rubber band and cut it with a pair of scissors. Wrap it around the blank twice then just tie a granny knot. Trim the excess off of it. Slide the foot of the guide under the band and you are ready to wrap.

After you get about half way up the foot I take my metal thread pick, stick it under the rubber band, grab my scissors and cut the rubber band. Continue wrapping.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 07:09AM

Been doing what Mike does for years. I buy a bag of kids bands you can get most any where

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster