I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rods Rainforest II vs. Rainshadow RX7 4wts
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 08:19PM

It was a beautiful day today in the chicago area so I decided to go out and test a couple of rods I've made in the last few weeks. I just finished a Batson 904-4 RX7 for a friend of mine, and before I give it to him I decided to do a side by side comparison to a Pac Bay Rainforest II 904-4 that I had built for myself a month or so ago. I used the same reel on both rods wich had 4 wt Scientific anglers mastery GPX wf line. After testing them both for about 45 minutes I have to say I was completely impressed with both rods. They both shot line very very well (easy 50 or 60 feet) with barely an effort. Short distances they both performed like a charm. VERY VERY Impressed. The problem was that I could not tell the difference between either rod they were so similar in feel and peformance, so i decided to throw them on the rack for a common cents test. It was unreal how similar these two rods tested out. heres the info. First off the both tested to an exact AA of 68. This should tell me that they are both Fast actions as opposed to the moderate and medium fast actions they advertise. Even at testing this fast Both rods were absolutely smooth in long and short casting. I would recomend them even to the most novice of casters. The ERNs tested very very close as well The Rainforest II tested at 5.35 while the Rainshadow RX7 tested at about 5.20. Both had slightly "above" 4wt backbone but had no adverse affects on me feeling the line load in either case. Again VERY VERY smooth in both cases. Then I decided to take my test even one step farther. I measured exactly half the length down from the tip tops to 54" to see if there was any difference in deflection there. Again very very close the Rainforest II deflected 1 3/4 inches at 54" and the rainshadow deflected right at 2 1/4 inches. In summery I would say that I recomend either of these 4 weights very highly. Its a complete toss up, but you can't go wrong with either rod. THEY ARE BOTH GREAT. Thought this may help some of you.

Heres a recap:

Batson Rainshadow RX7 904-4 ( IM6 43 million mod): ERN = 5.20 AA = 68 with 2 1/4" deflection at 54" from tip.

Pac Bay Rainforest II ( IM7 47 million mod): ERN = 5.35 AA = 68 with deflection of 1 3/4 at 54" from tip.

BOTH HAVE VERY VERY VERY NICE ACTIONS !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 08:21PM by Larry Damore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rods Rainforest II vs. Rainshadow RX7 4wts
Posted by: John V. Holohan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 08:35PM

Thanks for the info, Larry. I just picked up a 9' 4 wt. RX7 to build for my nephew. I wanted to get him a faster 4 wt., and I thought this blank would fill the bill. I'll be using Amtack Nanolite SF guides so he can shoot that line across the Lehigh River when he needs to go long!

I appreciate the confirmation of my thought process. I now feel smart!

John

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:05AM

Thanks for posting your results!

Were both rods equipped with the same guides and spacing? Does the addition of guides, guide spacing or the style of guide (single foot vs double foot) even effect the Common Sense numbers?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:17AM

Use the lightest guide you can. heavy guides will dampen the action of the blank Do a search here for guides and placement.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 01:49PM

That Mastery GPX line is one half size heaver that most standard 4 wt. lines, which tells me that those rods - as you've finished them - will not load as quickly with a more traditional 4 wt. line. How is the "straightness' of the Pac Bay blanks? Did you notice any crookedness near the tip of the blank?

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 02:15PM

Both rod were finished using BUL5 reel seats. The RX7 has lite wire single foot guides per batsons layout suggestion, and the Rainforest II has TiCO single foot guides set up the same as the RX7 and about the same minimal thread wrapping. Looked at both rods, and they are both str8 as an arrow.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 04:34PM

I was going to build a 904-4 and I wanted to ask if you thought using a set of REC recoil guides would have any appreciable effect on the rods performance?

Posted by: John V. Holohan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 07:02PM

dave schaub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was going to build a 904-4 and I wanted to ask
> if you thought using a set of REC recoil guides
> would have any appreciable effect on the rods
> performance?

The extra thread wraps on a double foot guide will slow it down, but I think barely enough to notice. I wouldn't worry about it. Like I said in my previous post in this thread, I'm going to use Nanolite SF guides. Yeah, it's only one thread wrap, but I know the guides are definitely heavier than wire snakes. Believe me, I'm not that worried about it, either! Go for it.

John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 06:47AM

Acid Rod has some new English Seymo Single Foot wire guides that are kind of neat. They sit higher then any other wire guides. [] About in the middle of the page.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster