I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High End Foregrip Assembly
Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.qtrailer.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 02:58PM

I am going to use the Forecast High End Foregrip Assembly on a couple of spinning rods. It has a cork foregrip attached to a reel hood the screws to the reel seat. I am pairing the Aero seat with this foregrip. I found that I will have to deal with a 1/8" gap between the blank & ID of the foregrip. I also noticed that the edge of the Aero seat is recessed about 1" inside the end of the foregrip with a 2000 series reel installed.

My questions is....how do I fill this void? I thought about building a very thin foregrip in front of the reel seat that the "other" foregrip would fit over. Any other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High End Foregrip Assembly
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 07:12PM

If I understand what your asking, For the void between the foregrip and blank I would just shim it with some masking tape. The void between the real set and the foregrip I can't visualize. It may be best to talk with whoever you order from for suggestions.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 07:15PM

I've installed one on a spinning seat.... size 16nps...It's not that comfortable on this seat..probably would be on casting though. Anyway, mine has a gap between the seat and blank....I just left it...looks fine.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 09:13PM

Mark,
You need some gap betwen the screw style fore grip and the rod blank to allow for easy rotation of the fore grip to hold the reel on the rod.
The thing that I have done is to trim down the length of the fore grip, so that with the reel in question for the rod attached, I have the end of the fore grip come just to the end of the reel seat. As a result, there is nothing in front of the reel seat threads, and thus nothing to worry about with clearance. The end of the fore grip in this case is virtually the same size as the threads, but that is fine, because the end of the fore grip is turned down so that it comes to a nice smooth round cone and ends just at the end of the reel seat threads.

If you will note in the attached picture:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have the original Aero reel seat and the original Aero reel seat reel nut.
Then, the Fuji stock fore grip.
Then, below that the trimmed and modified fore grip such that it just comes even with the ends of the threads on the reel seat when the reel is attached.

Take care
Roger

P.S.
I did a few mock ups where I tried using the cork coated fore grip for this Aero reel seat and found that it was very uncomfortable to use.
The problem is hte size of the cork coated reel seat. It is simply too large in my opinion and with the shape of the aero reel seat, tends to counter act the comfort factors of the stock reel seat.
That is why I choose to use the unlined reel nut, and then turn it down even more so that the fore grip is just barely larger than the threads of the reel seat.

The standard cork lined fore grips of which you speak have about 1/4 - 3/8th layer of cork on them, and I simply find that they are uncomfortable for long hours of casting.

I would suggest a mock up of a rod, and a trial fit with a stock nut, your fore grip, and an extended nut with no cork on the fore grip to come up with the one that suits you best.

Posted by: Mark Wendler (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 11:59PM

Roger

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback. I had found one of your threads earlier, and tried to find the style of extended nut that you used. I had no such luck. The closest thing I found was the KDPS Quick-Lock Reel Seat Locking Nut at Mud Hole. But it looks like the end is wide open & cut square, not cone shaped like yours. I might give this a try cut it even with the end of the seat after mounting the reel. After all, I'm just trying to keep my fingers from getting sore from contact on the threads on the seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 12:04AM by Mark Wendler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 09:13AM

Mark,
I spent some time on the lathe with each locking nut to give the nuts its final shape.
I cut the nut about 2/10th of an inch long and then used sand paper on the spinning nut to give the nut its final shape and form while the nut was spinning on my lathe.

If you don't have a lathe, you can rig up a setup on an electric drill to accomodate the nut.

Simply take an old or new size 16 reel seat and slip it on a rod that has been chucked into a drill. Use masking tape to build up the size of the rod, so that the reel seat is a nice firm fit on the rod that has been chucked into the drill or lathe.
Then, simply turn on the lathe or drill - get the reel seat and attached nut up to 3000 rpm and go to work on the shape of the fore grip - nut - with various grades of sandpaper until you get the shape and finish that you like.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 01:31PM

15 years ago that style of foregrip was was used. It quickly lost favor do to junk would get inside the foregrip

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 04:17PM

If you don't like the space you could slide the for-grip off and do a wrap with A or even D thread and clear. Make sure it is not to large or the for-grip will not fit.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster