I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod building injuries
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 07:36AM

Well I had so much fun last night while working on some repairs to a rod. I had to cut off the foregrip on a rod so I could get to work on a loose reelseat. As I am cutting away the cork, the knife slipped and I tried my best to slice off my left index finger. After a trip to the emergency room and 7 stitches later it is al back together, but I have to keep the finger immobilized for 7-10 days, so no rod building work right now...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod building injuries
Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 08:53AM

Mike, I did the same thing last year and when I got back from the emergency room with my stitched, Heavily bandaged finger, I tried to continue working on a rod. I filled my alcohol burner and because my hand was still numb I didnt notice that I had soaked the bandage with alcohol. When I lit the burner my bandaged finger had a 18 in flame coming off it. I busted the stitches loose trying to get the fire out LOL
I was too embarrassed to go back to my doctor, So I went to the urgent care clinic and paid cash to get restitched

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 10:00AM

Mike,
I wonder what was going on last night.
I was in the shop turning handles.
During a moment of inattentions - I think that inattention is the cause of most accidents - I went to remove a handle that I had just turned down, without turning off the lathe.
The handle ended up broken, the manderal ended up broken and the tailstock on the lathe ended up broken.

Fortunately, I suffered no personal injury.

I replaced the handle, replaced the maderal, and have parts on order to repair the lathe tail stock.

Must have been a "spooky" moon out last night.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 10:08AM

I almost injured a rod last night! I had been static testing and spacing guides on an NFC blank (not cheap). I pulled it off my CCS fixture, bent over to pick up a spacer that fell, and the tip went in the hole on my Barracuda lathe chuck and as I turned to place the rod on my wrapper I felt resistance. Had I ignored that and kept pulling I may have snapped the tip off.

Mike - sorry to hear it!

Bill - You made me laugh! Probably not funny at the time!

Chuck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 10:08AM

Rod Building Gremlins ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Griffin (96.229.21.---)
Date: February 19, 2010 10:32AM

Bill Havens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike, I did the same thing last year and when I
> got back from the emergency room with my stitched,
> Heavily bandaged finger, I tried to continue
> working on a rod. I filled my alcohol burner and
> because my hand was still numb I didnt notice that
> I had soaked the bandage with alcohol. When I lit
> the burner my bandaged finger had a 18 in flame
> coming off it. I busted the stitches loose trying
> to get the fire out LOL
> I was too embarrassed to go back to my doctor, So
> I went to the urgent care clinic and paid cash to
> get restitched

Bill, (or should I call you "Billy Human Torch") thanks for the visual. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 12:00PM

I think there's something to this rod builders gremlin idea. I was ramming an EVA fore grip down a 5 foot calstar blank. I've done this countless times and yet for the life of me can't figure out how the heck I managed to clock myself in the forehead with the tip. After I got off the floor I checked to make sure everything else in the room was ok. Just glad I missed my eyeballs. Maybe they should make a rodbuilder's insurance or something.

Date: February 19, 2010 12:05PM

Chia,
Maybe we need to post a warning when the moon phase switches out of the current quadrent.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2010 02:49PM

Awhile back there was a post titled, "How to tell when you`re in a rod builders shop". It was mentioned ,epoxy on the benches, a pile of thread on the floor etc. I guess we could ad, "When there is blood on the tools". lol.

Everybody becareful.

Do you think it may be happening to those of us that were not able to get to the ICRBE ????

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 19, 2010 05:57PM

My plane broke and there were no more seats on later flights. They were willing to reroute me through other cities and EVENTUALLY into GSO by tomorrow morning ... but I gave up and came home. I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year. Someone at least got lucky in respect to the Expo hotel, I cancelled leaving both tonight and Saturday available for a king non-smoking room.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: February 19, 2010 07:20PM

I have had a lot of near misses, one of which involved DNA alcohol, alcohol burner, loose sleave whos owner was warned to watch where he left the burner, then the ensuing chaos that errupted when sleave met burner. Cut my index finger tip 1/2 way off luckily I decided to go through the fingernail and all so it kept me from cutting the entire tip off. Doctor didn't seem to think stiches would work there so he glued it up. When Iasked him how secure it was going to be as I was going fishing the next day he handed me a bunch of the glue and wished me luck.........lol

Date: February 19, 2010 08:54PM

Kirk,
I suspect that the glue worked well, because that is what brain surgeons use to fix up your brain when they are operating on it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:31AM

What do they use -- rod bond LOL Maybe that is what they used to replace my hips

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (---.tok.aptalaska.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 12:50PM

well on the one cane rod building site we have the Nunly award for hurt in action one man had a pc of cane he was cutting on the table saw kick back and stick him all of us should take our time and think befor we act God Bless all

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 01:50PM

I still say perhaps they should offer rod builder's insurance where the premium stays the same but coverage doubles during the full moon periods. They should also cover therapist sessions for any builders who may have inadvertently found themselves attached to their rod building chair via 5 minute epoxy to help recover the confidence issues. That and, if the epoxy soaks through to the underwear and sets before you stand up, it leaves a mark.

Date: February 20, 2010 04:57PM

Jeffrey,
On a similar vein, I had a co worker years ago have an incident with his table saw.
He was ripping 2X stock improperly.
As a result of a lumber hang in the saw, the saw caugh tth piece of lumber, pitched it across the garage and right through the wall of the shop where it ended up in the center of the lawn.

It is pretty remarkable how much power some of the machines that we use daily - really have.
Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 09:15PM

No rodbuilding injuries to date...but I did chop the end of my thumb off one day while chopping bbq. Does that count? LOL

(No...we didn't serve that batch of bbq.)

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.188.110.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 10:42PM

I set my hand on fire with an alcohol burner last year. I had filled it and had to tilt it to get it under the guide. The alcohol leaked onto the burner and my hand. My hand and the alcohol burner caught on fire, so I put the alcohol burner down on the hard plastic mat on the floor of my shop, blew out my hand and then dropped the metal cap onto the alcohol burners flame and blew the rest of the fire out. Only 2 tiny little burn marks on my finger where the alcohol had burned off and started on my skin. It was odd, hand was on fire, and it just felt warm because the alcohol was burning. No burn or pain feeling until the alcohol burned off. Yikes!

I ground part of my thumb off several years ago with a 2x72 belt sander when I used to make knives. The tool rest slipped a bit and the blade went into the contact wheel I was grinding on. My thumb followed and got ground down with a 36 grit ceramic belt until it was thin enough to clear the gap between the tool rest and wheel. I went inside, dumped a ton of peroxide over it, wrapped it up with paper towels and duct tape, and went back out and got back to grinding. No bone was showing, but it was pretty close to it! No scars or infection when it healed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster